Los Angeles’ Mustard brings in an array of artists for ‘Perfect Ten.’ (Photo via @XXL on Twitter)

Album Review: Mustard’s ‘Perfect Ten’ has listeners dancing one minute and in their feels the next

Following up his 2017 release The Ghetto, Los Angeles-based producer Mustard enlightens fans with his third studio album, Perfect Ten, which is full of prominent features.

Mustard released singles for the album earlier in 2019 with “Pure Water (feat. Migos)” and “100 Bands (feat. Quavo, YG & Meek Mill).” The singles lacked by sounding a bit too cliché, but luckily the rest of the album doesn’t follow in their footsteps.

1takejay does an excellent job of getting listeners hyped and ready for the rest of the album during the opening track. With strong lyricism and a sample of Shai’s acapella version of “If I Ever Fall In Love” that seamlessly blends with the beat, the track is arguably one of the best intros in recent hip-hop album releases.

“On GOD,” which was released a week before the album, also arguably has one of the best groups of featured artists in recent rap releases. The song is stacked with A$AP Ferg, YG, Tyga and A$AP Rocky. Rocky’s verse is undoubtedly the most intense, and Ferg’s chorus makes the song easy to dance to.

Another song stacked with hip-hop’s current stars is “Baguettes in the Face (feat. NAV, Playboi Carti & A Boogie Wit da Hoodie).” NAV carries the song with a fluent chorus, while A Boogie and Carti don’t disappoint with their, as expected, intense verses.

Located in the middle of the album, “Interstate 10 (feat. Future)” is one of the best Future songs of 2019. The song has a softer vibe, along with Future’s tough lyrics. The slight acoustic guitar strumming gives the song the perfect summer feeling.

“Woah Woah (feat. Young Thug & Gunna)” is different from most of Young Thug’s songs because he deviates from the mumble rap sound and slows down his lyrics. Gunna, an artist inspired by Young Thug, adds a short yet strong verse to the song. 

Mustard also delivers an R&B song, “Surface,” which features Ella Mai and Ty Dolla $ign. The song will undoubtedly put listeners in their feels, and Ella Mai’s peaceful vocals are the perfect addition to the album.

Roddy Ricch is a newer hip-hop artist who recently signed to Atlantic Records in November 2018, and his feature on “Ballin’” is bound to give him more of a following. His biggest hit prior to the Mustard track was “Die Young,” and the artist even collaborated with the late, great Nipsey Hussle on “Racks In The Middle.”

In fact, Mustard ends the album with a touching song featuring the late hip-hop artist. Hussle speaks volumes on his code of ethics on the track’s downtempo beat. Replacing a chorus, Mustard features various clips of Hussle explaining his view on the violence connected to hip-hop music and later calling YG a “genius.” Hussle was shot and killed by the gang violence he worked so hard to end. The song is an incredible tribute to the strong-minded, highly determined man, and it’s a perfect song for the title track.

Overall, Perfect Ten is a great mixture between tough, hardcore lyricism and emotional, soft beats. Bringing in an array of artists for the 10-track album, Mustard is able to evoke the feeling of summer, get listeners in their feels, but most importantly, get them dancing and grooving.

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu