‘It: Chapter Two’ has potential and the right ingredients, but doesn’t live up to the hype. (Photo via @IndieWire on Twitter) 

Twitter Reactions: ‘It Chapter Two' excites, worries fans about the fate of the Losers Club

After audiences raved about the 2017 reimagining of Stephen King’s novel It, with the film even scoring an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, it was only a matter of time until the sequel came out to provide closure to the story.

Now, two years later, the final trailer for It Chapter Two was released at Comic-Con, and it looks even better than Chapter 1. 

It followed the Losers’ Club as children during the summer of 1989. The group of bullied children has to band together to take down Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard), a clown who returns to the town of Derry, Maine, every 27 years to prey on the town’s children. 

Now, in It Chapter Two, the Losers’ Club is all grown up and is returning to Derry 27 years later, after making a pact promising to finish the job if Pennywise wasn’t dead. Having long since drifted apart from one another, the group must reunite to take down Pennywise, who also returns to Derry with a thirst for revenge on the group. 

The final trailer for the film features the new adult cast, with James McAvoy as Bill, Jessica Chastain as Beverly, Jay Ryan as Ben, Bill Hader as Richie, Isaiah Mustafa as Mike, James Ransone as Eddie and Andy Bean as Stanley. The younger versions of the characters will also be featured in the film, and the casting is extremely spot on. 

Among the cast are some new and familiar places in Derry as well. We get to see the old, broken-down house where the kids had one of the biggest battles with Pennywise, the outside town of Derry where the kids rode their bikes and, of course, Pennywise’s home in the sewers. There’s also a new creepy carnival setting with a house of mirrors where a child is trapped by Pennywise. 

Two big complaints from the previous It film was the lack of truly suspenseful and scary moments, and the lack of scenes for Skarsgard to give the incredible performance he’s capable of. It’s supposed to be a horror film, but there are only a handful of moments that are truly scary. Honestly, It became a pleasant surprise in a different genre: a horror film about a demonic clown became one of the best coming-of-age films of 2017. 

Though fans loved the coming-of-age aspect, the trailer makes It Chapter Two look like a wide turn away from the coming-of-age feel and bringing back the truly suspenseful and terrifying moments, including more scenes from Pennywise. 

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

It Chapter Two premieres in theaters Sept. 6

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu