Jane tries to juggle her book and her stepdaughters during this week’s episode of ‘Jane The Virgin.’ (Photo via @CW11Seattle on Twitter) 

TV Review: Jane secures a publisher and a relationship with her stepdaughters on ‘Jane The Virgin’

Jane’s (Gina Rodriguez) life is changing forever in a great way, but when good news comes on Jane The Virgin, audience members should just wait for the other shoe to drop. 

The previous episode  ended with Petra (Yael Grobglas) getting into a car accident and leaving the audience to wonder if she’d make it out alive. 

This week, Petra is alive and well, but it’s her mother, Magda (Priscilla Barnes), whose life is in danger. After suffering tremendous injuries from the crash, it looks like Magda isn’t going to make it. 

Though most Jane The Virgin episodes feature the relationship plot line between Jane and Rafael (Justin Baldoni), this week focused on Jane’s relationship with her novel and her relationship with Petra and Rafael’s daughters, Anna and Ellie (Mia and Ella Allan). 

The episode begins with Jane finishing her novel and sending it to her mentor, who had promised to send it to an agent. The mentor loves Jane’s book, but the agent passes on the opportunity to represent her. Instead of becoming doubtful with her writing, Jane presses on and starts to hunt for other agents. 

At the same time, Petra asks Jane to look after the girls for a few hours, and Jane wants to get to know them better, due to her new title of stepmom. However, Jane’s interactions with the girls come with a lot of rules from Petra. When Anna and Ellie lie to Jane about using their iPads, Jane handles it and everything seems fine until she is forced to tell Petra what happened. The girls, thinking Jane is a tattle-tale, decide they don’t like her.

After a lot of rejection from various agents on her novel, Jane finally decides to sneak into an agent’s office and plant her novel at the top of their reading list. However, her plans are put on hold when Rafael needs Jane to pick up the girls from school. In the end, this works out for Jane because not only does she successfully plant the novel, but Anna and Ellie help her and the three become a great team. 

Jane receives a call from the agent, telling her she doesn’t want to represent her novel. Jane decides it’s time for her to make writing a hobby and focus on finding a new career to bring in some money to support the family. After Jane tearfully explains this to Rafael, Mateo (Elias Janssen) picks up Jane’s book and starts to read it out loud, resulting in a huge celebration from the family that Mateo can finally read. 

Back at the hospital, Petra is getting ready to pull the plug on Magda. Rafael and Jane come to show their support, but Petra isn’t really that broken up about it. She says a heartfelt goodbye and is getting ready to sign the paperwork to take Magda off life support when Magda suddenly wakes up and takes a turn for the better. 

While waiting with Petra at the hospital, Jane steps away to take a call, and when she comes back, she tells Rafael and Petra the news that would change her life forever. 

“Who was that?” Rafael said. 

“An agent,” Jane said. “A really big one. She wants to represent me.”

The three celebrate, and with Jane’s reassurance in herself, all seems right in the world. 

However, throughout the episode, Luisa (Yara Martinez) is working for Rose (Bridget Regan), and the end of the episode shows a group of Rose’s henchmen all disguised with masks that look like her. Though her plans have not been revealed yet, it’s clear Rose is planning something big.

Here’s how audiences reacted to the episode on Twitter:

Jane The Virgin airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu