Neal Grusczynski was hired as the Ohio men's golf coach on July 9. (Photo from ohiobobcats.com)

Men's Golf: Neal Grusczynski named new men's golf coach

Neal Grusczynski was hired as the new Ohio men’s golf coach Tuesday by Ohio University Director of Athletics Amy Dean.

"We are excited to have Neal and his family become members of our Bobcat family," Dean said in a statement from ohiobobcats.com. "With his playing, coaching and teaching experience, we are confident in Neal's ability to support our men's golf team in their efforts to become Mid-American Conference champions.”

Grusczynski previously coached Cardinal Stritch University men’s and women’s golf, where he led the Wolves to three straight Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) Championships during his tenure from 2015-2018. The women’s team also took home their first CCAC championship in 2017 under his lead, and he has also served as an assistant coach at Jacksonville State, Army and Xavier, his alma mater.

To back up his coaching career, Grusczynski brings experience cultivated from his time as a collegiate golfer at Xavier and on the NGA-Hooters Tour — now the Swing Thought Tour. During his senior year at Xavier, Grusczynski became individual co-champion at the 2005 Atlantic 10 Conference Championships.

"I would like to thank Amy Dean and President (Dr. M. Duane) Nellis for the opportunity to lead the Ohio University men's golf program," Grusczynski said. "There's an incredible history at the university across the board. We are going to work hard on building that history and focus on being professional student-athletes in pursuit of success on and off the golf course.”

Grusczynski will replace Carter Cheves, who served as Ohio men’s golf coach for one year. Gruszynski is only the fourth coach in Ohio men’s golf history.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu