Ty Walton poses for a photo in Peden Stadium.

Football: Tyler Walton is ready to create his own legacy

Ohio and its fans alike have enjoyed seeing a wide receiver who donned No. 4 gash through defenses and create big plays.

For the last three seasons, No. 4 has belonged to now-graduated playmaker Papi White. Just because White and his talents are gone, however, doesn’t mean Ohio won’t enjoy who now wears No. 4.

Meet Ty Walton.

The redshirt freshman shares similar features to his predecessor. They’re both under 6-feet tall. They’re both relatively light in weight – Walton is listed at 165 pounds. They have the speed and football intelligence to give problems to opposing secondaries.

Those similarities haven’t gone unnoticed. Offensive coordinator Tim Albin was quick to praise Walton early in camp at Ohio’s media day where he acknowledged the comparison.

“I told somebody that in pre-game, (opposing teams) are going to say, ‘I thought the White kid graduated,” Albin said. “He’s made some plays throughout fall camp; he’s had a really good offseason.”

With such a comparison at the start of his career, Walton feels like it’s time for him to start his own journey. Following White is a hard act. In his last season with the Bobcats, White totaled 987 receiving yards and nine touchdowns, and in his career, he totaled 2,290 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns.

But now it’s Walton’s turn to make his own path and give people a reason to still talk about No. 4.

“Papi is my bro, and it’s an honor that people say I resemble him,” Walton said, “but I want to start my own legacy. Now that Tyler Walton is No. 4, I want that to continue to be the road we head down.”

Walton, who played at Christian Brothers in St. Louis, Missouri, felt that he had a lot to offer to various collegiate programs. But because of his size and some lingering injuries in high school, he only had offers from Ohio, Kent State and Army.

With his three offers, it came down to who would give him the best opportunity.

“I was getting overlooked and Ohio gave me an opportunity,” he said. “I think they got a steal with that and I’m out here trying to prove that to them.”

The feeling of being overlooked has kept Walton hungry to succeed and learn as much as possible. He spent his first year at Ohio as a scout team receiver helping its starting defense prepare for its weekly opponents.

Walton made that role his own and set out to challenge guys like Javon Hagon and Kylan Nelson to improve in practice. He did all of that without realizing he was improving, too.

That caught the eye of wide receivers coach Dwayne Dixon, who sees a lot of potential in Walton.

“I can sleep at night knowing when he’s in the game (and) that he can execute at a high level,” Dixon said. “He’s been a very good asset to our team.”

Dixon believes that Walton shares similar talents to White. Dixon believes Walton has emulated similar habits as White, and that’s why Walton’s potential is just as high. 

Now, it’s Walton’s time. He’s ready to get on the field and showcase the talents he possesses. 

After playing with the scout team a year ago, Walton has played with the first and second teams throughout fall camp. He’s showed that he has what it takes to potentially lead a young wide receiver group and possibly fill the shoes of White, who currently plays with the Tennessee Titans in the NFL.

Along with the reps he’s received on offense, Walton has the potential to get in on special teams situations as a returner. Though he’s not listed on the two-deep depth chart, anything is possible in Week 1.

Walton just wants to be out on the field no matter if he’s in on offense or special teams. 

“One of my big goals this year is to just make an impact and to help this team win games,” he said. “I don’t want to come out and try to be someone I’m not.”

With the season just days away and Ohio set to welcome Rhode Island to Peden Stadium, fans are going to have a minor adjustment with seeing a No. 4 juke and jive around the field.

Over time, Walton will still have to learn how to create separation and score on a breakaway route similar to his predecessor.

But for now, Walton is ready for his journey to begin.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu