McCracken Hall, home to the Patton College of Education, is located at 100 E Union St.

OU alumna increases gift to Ohio University by $22 million

An OU alumna has increased her gift commitment by $22 million to a total of $64 million to the Ohio University Foundation.

Violet Patton, the daughter of Gladys W. and David H. Patton, originally gave the university $13.3 million in 2010 to create the Violet L. Patton Center for Arts Education. She then donated an additional $28 million to honor her parents Gladys W. and David H. Patton with the naming of the Patton College of Education.

The donation was used in the Patton College’s building renovation, which was completed in 2017, according to an OU press release.

The additional $22 million gift will go toward The Patton College’s facilities and the new Violet L. Patton Center for Arts Education.

“Dr. Patton’s generosity is truly overwhelming and humbling. Her gifts have transformed, and will continue to transform, arts and education at Ohio University,” said OU President Duane Nellis.

About $32 million of her overall donation will support the design, construction and furnishing of the Patton Center. About $27 million will go toward facilities and another $5 million will be used to support maintenance for the buildings.

Violet Patton graduated in 1938 with a bachelor’s degree in secondary education.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu