Revived exercise class provides safe space for adults to unleash their inner child

For children, recess is the time where they can escape school, go outside and unwind with their friends. As time goes on, recess becomes an infrequent activity, until it’s gone altogether. 

However, the stress and responsibility of life significantly increases, and adults are left with few to no outlets that are simply meant for blowing off steam. 

That’s where Jamie Betit, owner of Functional Integrated Training (FIT), comes in. Eight years ago, Betit created “Recess for Adults,” a weekly event where adults of all ages can come and play, foster relationships and simply let loose for an hour of fun. Betit is going to run the event every Thursday through the end of October, and if the event takes off, he’ll find an indoor space to continue it during the winter months.  

“This event is for community members to relearn to enjoy one another just for the sake of enjoying one another,” Betit said. “It’s play for the sake of play; there’s no purpose, no true direction, just learning to come out, let go of anxiety and stress and trust that it’s OK to be ridiculous.”

Betit started the event when he moved his training business from Maine to Athens a little under nine years ago. FIT focuses on training and sports performance, and it offers several different classes, summer camps for children and other programs. 

Betit started Recess for Adults in the gym at West Elementary School. The event was a huge success, garnering 20-30 people per class with ages ranging from 18-70, and it was a great way for Betit to get to know the people in his new environment. After a little over a year, Betit lost access to the gym, so he took a break from the event. 

This year, Betit could clearly see the need for the event to return, so he decided to bring it back at Highland Park. 

“I just think especially right now, it’s what we need, with so much division in political ideology and all that stuff,” Betit said. “It’s a great opportunity for community members to get together without alcohol and without opinions, and just move their bodies and have a great time.” 

Dr. Stuart Brown, the author of the book Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul, was Betit’s real inspiration. Betit realized he could find a way to combine exercise with games and make it more of a group event, rather than a one-on-one training-focus. He wanted to bring a fun element into exercise and into life. 

Adults of any age are welcome in the class, and Betit knows that in a goal-oriented society, the class can be really beneficial in teaching adults to enjoy the journey to reach their goals. Recess for Adults is not only a healthy form of exercise and for meeting other people in Athens, but it’s also a safe space to let the inner child play with no judgment. 

Betit is not the only one to preach the benefits of Recess for Adults. Amanda Sharrai, who has had Betit as her personal trainer for five years, has participated in Betit’s classes before and knows the event is a great way to stay in shape and have some fun. 

“The biggest benefit I see is that adults don’t get an opportunity to play much,” Sharrai said. “We work a lot; we raise children, so I think it’s important to get us out of our day-to-day routines and spend time with other adults playing, exploring our bodies and working out.”

More than that, however, Sharrai knows with the hardships and responsibilities that life throws at adults, it can be easy to throw self-care on the backburner, and Recess for Adults is a great area for adults to practice self-care.

“It’s important for adults to take this personal time for themselves,” Sharrai said. “A lot of adults get so wrapped up in their lives that they don’t do self care, and I think it’s really important to take that opportunity to do self care, and this is a really comfortable and safe space to do that.”

Betit believes once people start showing up to the event, they’ll begin to crave it, and the opportunity to be ridiculous with no bosses, no responsibilities and a group of people who want the same thing. 

Couples are encouraged to come together to the event because Betit thinks it’s healthy for relationships. Whether there is tension in relationships, or the couple has lost their spark, Betit believes a great way to rekindle the relationship is by adding a little fun into it with the recess class. 

More than anything, Betit wants the event to be a place for people to get some exercise, break down societal barriers and get out of their comfort zones by unleashing their inner child. 

“To me, there’s no reason not to come,” Betit said. “If you think the event is stupid or silly, then you’re probably the exact person who needs to come. If for nothing else, just to try something new. Why would you hesitate to come and get good exercise all the while having a smile on your face?”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu