7 tips to conquer sorority recruitment

The chanting, the outfits, the nerves. Sorority recruitment is truly a process like no other.

Waking up early only to walk in heels in endless hours is a war many of us take upon ourselves. But never fear! Rushing may seem intimidating, but there are a few essential tips that will aid your mental sanity (and feet) along the way. 

Here are some tips to conquer sorority recruitment: 

Be prepared

Sorority recruitment is an all day event. In order to feel your best throughout the long hours, there are a few essentials that will make the process less nerve-wracking. 

Brush: Halfway through the day, your hair will be screaming for a comb. Brush your hair after every few rounds to make a huge difference in how you present yourself.

Mints: Gum may be a go-to, but it is strictly not allowed during rounds. Bring mints to use while walking from house to house.

Band-aids: Walking in heels all day is a horror story in itself… the blisters only make matters worse. Save yourself some pain, and pack a few band-aids. 

Water bottle: Hydration is key, especially in the heat. Don’t be the one who faints, and keep refilling a water bottle.

Umbrella: Rain or shine, recruitment will still go on. The last thing needed is extra stress about smeared makeup or damp hair. If anything, do not forget this essential. 

Be yourself

The most important essential is to always bring is yourself. Waking up early to perfect your hair and makeup will only do so much in the long run. Having confidence and being unapologetically yourself will get you exactly where you need to be. It’s easy to put on a facade that seems more “likeable” or to try and fit a certain mold. But underneath it all, recruitment is about finding the house that fits you. 

Have an open mind

Prior to rush, you may hear certain reputations regarding the different sororities. In the midst of gossip, remember to use your own judgment along the way. Stereotypes are real, but are never true most of the time. Whether you hear this or that, your own self-made opinion is the only one that will serve you best in the end. 

Have real conversations

With only a few short minutes, it can be difficult to reach above a surface level conversation. “What’s your major?” and “Why do you want to go greek?” will be two revolving questions at each house. Instead of giving simple answers, dive into a story that will make you all the more memorable. Rush may feel like a series of interviews, but remember to always bring conversation topics that will set you up for success.

Avoid the “4 Bs”

A simple rule of thumb to always follow is avoiding the “4 B’s:“ boys, booze, beliefs and bucks. To avoid unnecessary tension, steer clear of all controversial topics.  Rush is certainly not a time to rant about boyfriends, going out, religion or income. Instead, focus the conversation on your family, what you love to do or how you plan to get involved around campus. 

Make friends along the way

Rush is not only a great way to learn about greek life, but a fabulous way to meet new people. Be friendly to people in your RhoGam group, say hello while you are lining up outside houses, and help a girl out if she falls in her heels. Sorority recruitment can be daunting at times, but thankfully, your surrounded by women who are just as nervous as you. Don’t forget to take a moment and appreciate your fellow rushees.

Make your own decision in the end

In the end, it all comes down to that gut feeling. Take a moment to truly look around during preference night and gauge how comfortable or welcomed you feel by the women surrounding you. Stereotypes and gossip aside, choose the sorority that lifts you up to your highest self. After all, these friendships will follow you far past your years in college.

Good luck and happy rushing!

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu