Police Blotter: Drunk students throughout Welcome Weekend; man gets stuck in tree

Welcome Weekend only went well for some people. 

The Ohio University Police Department responded to the area of Hudson Health Center Saturday at about 8 p.m. for an intoxicated student. 

He smelled of alcohol and was unable to keep his balance. When speaking to officers, he handed them a fake ID. He was charged with disorderly conduct of intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

The student was one of six people to be charged with disorderly conduct of intoxication over the weekend. 

Pick your battles

Resident assistants from Pickering Hall called OUPD to report a student passed out in the second floor common area at about 3 a.m. Sunday. 

The student was unresponsive, smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes. He was issued a citation for disorderly conduct of intoxication and transported by ACEMS to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital. 

Party never stops

On Sunday at 1 a.m., OUPD officers observed a man with an open container walking down Congress Street on the sidewalk next to Bromley Hall. 

The officers spoke to the man and found he had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech and was unsteady on his feet. He was issued a citation for disorderly conduct by intoxication and open container and was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. 

Trashy day

OUPD responded to a report of a student passed out between two dumpsters behind Boyd Dining Hall. 

After several attempts, officers were able to wake the student. He needed assistance to stand and was unsure of his whereabouts. Officers also found him with a fake Texas ID and entered it into temporary evidence. It was marked for destruction. 

Stuck like a cat

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office helped Chauncey-Dover Fire Department to find people lost in the woods near Wayne National Headquarters. 

One of the people climbed a tree “in hopes of seeing a way out of the woods,” according to the report. Once up the tree, the person became frightened and could not climb down. 

Chauncey-Dover located the people through the assistance of phone tracking from the Athens County 911 Center and were able to safely talk the person down the tree. The subjects were checked by EMS personnel and declined medical treatment. 

Call Batman

The Sheriff’s Office responded to an automated alarm Monday at a residence in Canaan Township. 

Deputies checked the residence and found that it was secure. When a resident arrived and opened the residence, they found a bat flying around, which activated the alarm. Deputies returned to patrol. 

Sharing is difficult

The sheriff’s office responded to a neighbor dispute on Rhoric Road Tuesday about a drunk neighbor yelling at the caller.

The dispute stemmed from property the neighbors had in a shared storage building. Deputies spoke with the neighbor while the caller retrieved their items. Parties were informed that criminal charges would be pursued if additional disputes occurred. No further action was needed at the time.

Great cab service

Deputies responded to a call on Strouds Run Road Friday about an elderly woman with a cane on the side of the road.

The woman said she was just trying to make her way into town to go to the store. She was given a courtesy ride into town.

Can we use the phone?

Deputies responded to a call in the Mineral area about two suspicious people on the caller’s porch, who he could see through security cameras.

The suspects said they were just knocking on the door to see if they could use the phone. It was then determined that there were no forced entry attempts. The subjects were both issued trespassing complaints at the caller’s request. No additional action was needed.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu