After 22 years, Ash Ketchum won his first Pokemon League; the Ohio Pawpaw Festival occurred this weekend

Today is Monday, Sept. 16, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning,

For the first time since the anime’s inception in 1997, Pokemon protagonist Ash Ketchum has finally won a Pokémon league in the most recent episode of Pokémon Sun and Moon.

The 11-year-old had ultimately lost every previous Pokemon League, aside from the short-running Orange Islands series, which was treated more as a fun side-adventure than as a fully-fledged region to explore. Ash had come tantalizingly close in his previous series, XYZ, but was defeated in the eleventh hour.

As Sun and Moon wraps up, we can expect to see the next Pokemon anime tie-in to upcoming video games Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield to emerge. The series will reportedly take Ash from his home region, Kanto, throughout every other region he has explored up to this point, including the upcoming Galar region.

Pokemon’s official Twitter account congratulated Ash in an inspiring post:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Pawpaw Festival took place this weekend. (The Post)

City Council is discussing adding taxes or regulations to Airbnb that conventional hotels are required to pay. (The Post)

Dieting culture is complex, here’s a rundown of some of the biggest diets around (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio volleyball won all three games in the Bobcat Invitational. (The Post)

Here’s what happened at Ohio hockey’s annual Green and White intrasquad scrimmage (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be partly cloudy with no precipitation. The high will be 87 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You also might want to know…

Nearly a year after being sworn in as 114th Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh faces new sexual assault allegations. (The New York Times)

When a young whale washed ashore in Ocean City, Maryland, citizens attempted to save its life by pushing it back into the sea. (CNN)

A California woman ate her engagement ring in her sleep. (NBC News)

@JosephStanichar

js080117@ohio.edu