Photo of Chris Thile provided via Andrew Holzaepfel.

Prodigal mandolinist to bring a new type of show to OU

The Performing Arts and Concert Series has seen pop artists, rappers, musicals, comedy shows and so much more, but Ohio University will soon bring Chris Thile: a mandolin virtuoso.

Though Thile is known for his work on the mandolin, he is also a composer and vocalist who transcends the boundaries of specific genres. Thile will spend the evening exposing the audience to his various styles and songs over the years. 

Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director for student activities, is excited to see Thile return to OU for his fourth time. 

“He’s the best at what he does; he’s the best mandolin player in the world,” Holzaepfel said. “He’s an amazing musician and obviously has a pretty wide career.”

Thile is most known for his work with the trio Nickel Creek and the band Punch Brothers. 

Nickel Creek consisted of Thile and the sister-brother duo Sara and Sean Watkins. The group formed in 1989 and released its first album in 1993.

The group then reformed in 2014 to do a new album and tour. The band’s music leans into a bluegrass, folk sound with lots of intricate harmonies and detailed instrumentation, frequently featuring Thile’s mandolin. In 2003, the group won a Grammy award for the Best Contemporary Folk Album. 

After the conclusion of Nickel Creek in 2006, Thile formed Punch Brothers with Gabe Witcher, Noam Pikelny, Chris Eldridge and Paul Kowert. The group ranges genres with progressive bluegrass, classical and acoustic music. The band still performs together.

Punch Brothers won the 2019 Grammy award for Best Folk Album with its most recent album, All Ashore

Thile’s first solo album was released in 1994, and his most recent solo album was released in 2017. In addition to his solo work, he is also the host of his own radio show, Live From Here, on National Public Radio. 

Holzaepfel chose Thile for the 2019-2020 series because he knew Thile would be a great opener for the series. Thile has performed at OU three times before with his previous bands: Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers, and in recital with bassist Edgar Meyer.

“Now that he’s taken over for the radio show, we thought it’d be a great time to get him back in Athens,” Holzaepfel said. “He has respect on the music side and newfound popularity with the NPR show, so combined, that made a lot of sense to make him the opener of this year’s series.” 

Holzaepfel believes the concert will be an interesting experience for audiences. 

“You’re going to see someone who’s the best at their instrument in the whole world,” Holzaepfel said. “Having that is amazing in and of itself, but he’s also a personality, and he’s great to work with.”  

Students are excited to see a performer with such a distinct style come to the Performing Arts and Concert Series. 

Paige Vincent, a junior studying sociology-criminology, is looking forward to the different type of performance. 

“It’s so exciting to see someone with such an incredible talent come to OU,” Vincent said. “His music is so beautiful, and I think it’s a nice change of pace from the normal type of concerts we get here.”

Samantha Webne, a sophomore studying retail merchandising and fashion product development, loves the Performing Arts and Concert Series and hopes people will see Thile in concert. 

“I love the concerts that come to OU, and I think Chris Thile is just so different from what we normally see concert-wise, so I think people should definitely check it out,” Webne said. “It’s a way to open your mind to new music.”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu