The Athens City Council in committee session on Monday, January 14, 2019. (FILE)

City Council: Student Senate draws attention to dishonest towing practices

Concerns related to unjust towing practices were voiced by Adam Boesinger, an Off-Campus Life commissioner in Student Senate, Monday at the Athens City Council meeting.

Boesinger represented not only students, but residents of Athens in his brief communication to the council.

Boesinger used the precedent of the city taking firm action on neglectful landlords as a reason to shed light on corrupt towing practices.

“Many of us have fallen victim to the dishonest and potentially illegal practices of local towing entities,” Boesinger said.

The aforementioned “illegal practices,” according to Boesinger, include local towing agencies handing out fines in accord with the state maximum of $130 instead of the city’s hard cap of $50. Boesinger mentioned under home rule, state fines do not supersede local ordinances, therefore, no towing fine in Athens should be greater than $50.

Another potentially corrupt practice by towing companies, highlighted by Student Senate, is the reported mishandling of tower-car owner interactions.

“I have heard multiple stories of students approaching the towing workers mid-tow and being told they have to pick it up at the yard and pay the normal fee of $130 plus administration and other associated fees,” Boesinger said. “Acknowledging these issues, Student Senate has recommended an audit of towing practices in the Athens area."

Following the meeting, councilmembers acknowledged the prevalence of the towing problem.

“I think it's really important to keep the heat on this issue, real important, because otherwise it'll go away,” Councilman Pat McGee, I-At Large, said. “Everyone will forget.”

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said Councilman Pete Kotses, D-At Large, and the rest of the transportation committee will consider the topic.

Beside the towing issue and other ordinances being passed, Mayor Steve Patterson spoke about his upcoming trip to Washington, D.C., with the National League of Cities to meet with federal lawmakers.

Patterson has a full schedule on Capitol Hill, where he will meet with multiple senators and representatives including both Ohio senators, Rob Portman and Sherrod Brown. During his meeting with Portman, who is a Republican, Patterson plans on engaging in dialogue around the gun violence that has been occurring not only in Ohio, but across the nation.

@VinnyRamundo

vr208818@ohio.edu