EarthGang’s ‘Mirrorland’ is a spectacular major label debut from the duo. (Photo via @EarthGang on Twitter)

Album Review: EarthGang shines bright on ‘Mirrorland’

EarthGang, an Atlanta-based duo consisting of rappers Olu (AKA Johnny Venus) and WowGr8 (AKA Doctor Dot), has returned with its major label debut, Mirrorland. It’s the first full-length project from Earthgang since signing with J. Cole’s label, Dreamville, and the duo didn’t disappoint.

The 14 track album serves as an ode to EarthGang’s hometown, while further pushing the boundaries of hip-hop on every song. Olu and WowGr8 are no strangers to testing their limits as artists, and their use of abstract beats with versatile flows and hooks make the album shine. 

Mirrorland takes listeners on a journey from EarthGang’s upbringing in Atlanta, to the highs and lows of the lifestyle of an artist who lives in luxury. Throughout the album, the duo shows why it’s one of Atlanta’s finest while creating a perfect blend of genre-bending music with raw hip-hop talent. The album has plenty of highs, but here are five songs from EarthGang’s Mirrorland that are must-listens:

“Fields (feat. Malik)”

EarthGang provides a soulful vibe with “Fields,” but the lyrics provide a more serious layer to the song. Both WowGr8 and Olu spend the song speaking on some of the struggles that come with being an artist and the responsibilities they have to face on a daily basis. However, to no surprise, the two deliver the message in a unique and soul-filling way that leaves the listener wanting to know more.

“UP”

The lead single premiered on the YouTube channel, COLORS, and was an instant hit. The duo seemed as if it wanted to try something new, and it didn’t fail. EarthGang provides so much passion into the song, and the duo’s creativity shines consistently throughout each verse, making “UP” one of the most electrifying songs of the year.

“Blue Moon”

“Blue Moon” is a much-needed uplifting and joyful track that pops out in full color the second you press play. The track exudes soulful vibes and never seems to slow down. It’s a song that gets catchier with each listen, making it one of the best on the album.

“This Side”

Both WowGr8 and Olu’s melodic verses over this simple beat make “This Side” a standout on the album. It touches on paranoia and the tough journey from Atlanta streets to stardom. WowGr8 says it best, “Why is every waking moment feeling more like a dream? / Busted Reeboks, ashy n---- off on Camden Road / Walkin' proof of what can happen when you say what you mean.” And the unexpected beat switch at the end makes this amazing song infinitely better.

“Bank”

By far the most trap-influenced song on the album, “Bank” is a great summary of Atlanta hip-hop as a whole. WowGr8 shows off his versatility on the first two verses, while Olu provides an infectious hook and a strong closing verse to the song. EarthGang shows once again that it can go toe-to-toe lyrically with anyone else in hip-hop. If you only have time for one track from Mirrorland, “Bank” is the one you need to hear.

Rating: 4/5 

@JoeyPerkins_

jp391418@ohio.edu