Facebook has released a dating app; OU received a grant from the EPA

Today is Friday, Sept. 6th, 2019 Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Facebook’s new dating app is now available to the U.S. for all users over the age of 18. 

The company’s goal is to “make matchmaking personal again” by using personal data to deliver better matches than Tinder and Bumble. Facebook Dating will also include the option to integrate Instagram posts directly to their dating profile. 

After being fined $5 billion dollars for privacy lapses, Facebook has “taken a number of steps to lock down” the dating experience. The app will not include your Facebook Friends, and will have a feature to opt out mutual friends from viewing your profile, as well. Facebook will match profiles based on mutual groups (if enabled), mutual schools and mutual interests. 

To prevent the sending of unsolicited photos, the app will be limited to text and GIFs only. No links, photos, payments or videos can be shared through messenger. Story integration will be live by the end of the year. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University was given a grant from the EPA for on-campus sustainable events. (The Post)

Two armed robberies occurred in Athens early Thursday morning. (The Post)

Athens issued a boil advisory after a water pipe burst. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio football travels to Pitt for its first away game. (The Post)

Ohio field hockey looks to get its second win of the season in its first road trip. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another beautiful day in Athens. Today will be mostly sunny with light wind. The high is 80 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The sexual assault survivor from the Brock Turner case has come forward in a new memoir. (CBS News)

Nicki Minaj is retiring from the music industry to start a family. (USA Today)

Michigan has become the first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes. (Washington Post)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu