Goo Goo Dolls 12th studio album ‘Miracle Pill’ misses the mark. (Photo via @googoodollsofficial on Instagram)

Album Review: The 5 best songs off the Goo Goo Dolls’ mostly mediocre ‘Miracle Pill’

The Goo Goo Dolls’ frontman, John Rzeznik, isn’t the same musician he was two decades ago. When the band attained worldwide success with the instant classic “Iris,” which was written for the soundtrack of the 1998 film City of Angels, Rzeznik let his inner self loose, instantly instilling sentiment and zeal into everything he touched for the time being.

Now, 21 years since the Goo Goo Dolls became a household name— earning its right to be in talks for a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction nominee with the masterpiece of an album Dizzy Up The Girl, among others, along the way — Rzeznik is lacking. The band’s latest album, Miracle Pill, an 11-track composition that only sporadically showcases moments of passion, manifests that. 

The Goo Goo Dolls began as a trio with Rzeznik, co-vocalist and bassist Robby Takac and drummer George Tutuska. The band started under the moniker Sex Maggots before changing to Goo Goo Dolls after obtaining inspiration from a toy called a “Goo Goo Doll” in a magazine ad. Tutuska was kicked out of the band in 1995, and Mike Malinin took his place before leaving in 2013. It’s been the two-piece of Rzeznik and Takac ever since.

Miracle Pill is in no way a lamentable album, but knowing what the Goo Goo Dolls are capable of, it falls flat. “Life’s a Message” eerily sounds like a piece from Linkin Park, with Takac’s resemblant vocals and the comparable instrumentation. The title track, “Miracle Pill,” is an inferior version of the album’s leading song, “Indestructible.” “Lights,” however, provides a glimmer of hope with its evident emotion and gorgeous instrumentation. Overall, Miracle Pill has its moments, but mostly misses the mark.

Here are the five best songs off Miracle Pill

5. “Step in Line” 

Within the first few seconds of “Step in Line,” listeners are transported straight to the ’80s synthesizer era. The synths, intertwined with gleaming harmonies, instantly pull you in. The track goes downhill from there, but its simplistic yet imperative message does the job. 

Takac implores listeners to realize you’ll never mend until you let the affliction of the past go: “Your crying won’t heal the pain until you let it go / I guess time’s an evil foe / They shoulda let you know / That you’re never gonna beat it until you say goodbye.” Takac’s raspy voice and crucial message will remain with you even after the track ends.

4. “Lost”

“Lost” sounds like quintessential background music for a car commercial. The smooth acoustic guitar sets the tone for Rzeznik’s exposition of his significant others’ breathtaking personality.

It’s clear she’s become afraid of the inevitable taxing moments of life, and Rzeznik reassures her that he’ll be there no matter the outcome: “Dare to take a chance, love / If you lose your way, I’ll be there to find you / ... Don’t cry; don’t cry / We all get lost sometimes.”

The lyrics are endearing, and it’s an excellent reminder you’re never alone in what you go through.

3. “Autumn Leaves”

“Autumn Leaves” commences as a dreary, piano-based ballad that’s bound to bring melancholy feelings to light. Then, the breakdown occurs, and the passion missing from most of the album is exuded in the powerful beauty of Rzeznik’s vocals. 

Rzeznik seems to be discussing the feeling of losing someone, yet he takes the time to remind himself it’ll get better eventually: “Life is change / We move on / And where you go, I hope the summer goes along / So I wait.” This track would’ve been a more ideal ending to the album instead of the bland “Think It Over.” 

2. “Money, Fame & Fortune” 

There are obvious parallels between the themes of “Lost” and “Money, Fame & Fortune,” but the latter goes much deeper. 

While Rzeznik reminds his significant other he’s never loved anything or anyone more, he also mentions, backed by a groovy guitar and bass line, she’s the only riches he sees: “You’ve got everything I need ’cause you’re everything I’m not / You’re the money, fame and fortune, the only thing I want.”

Rzeznik’s suave vocals and lovable lyrics allow the track to be one of the only must-hears on the album.

1. “Over You”

It seems “Over You” is as close as listeners can get on this album to the sensational music that earned the Goo Goo Dolls a place in the hearts of many. From the first guitar strum, listeners are given a blast into the past, where they can reminisce on Goo Goo Dolls classics like “Name” or “Black Balloon.” The track’s title is ironic, as Rzeznik makes it obvious quite early he’s definitely not over the girl he’s discussing. 

“Over You” discloses the most poetic lyrics on the album: “Haven’t seen the sun in days / Or did you take it with you? / Might have gone our separate ways / But every night brings me back to you.” 

This is the only point on the album that Rzeznik’s vocals are just as riveting and passionate as they were all those years ago, and that makes “Over You” the best on Miracle Pill.

Rating: 3/5

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu