Around the Web: KFC's new sandwich dominates the chicken sandwich war

Step aside, Chick-fil-A and Popeyes, because Kentucky Fried Chicken is entering the chicken sandwich game, and it may just have all other competitors beat.

KFC announced – a little late in the game – that it’s unrolling a new chicken sandwich with glazed donuts in the place of buns. Although it sounds like pure diabetes, it is unlike any other chicken sandwich being marketed by major franchises currently and is also more innovative.

The new sandwich combination appeared after Popeyes began stealing KFC’s business with its insanely popular chicken sandwich debut. When Popeyes’ market share increased the week its sandwich debuted, 20% more KFC customers visited Popeyes that month compared to July. These customers needed something out-of-the-box to return to KFC, which the franchise sufficiently provided.

KFC didn’t come up with this idea on its own, however. Fairgrounds across the country are known for making just about anything deep-fried, so it’s no surprise that the Iowa State Fair already had a “triple cheeseburger donut,” consisting of three beef patties, six slices of American cheese and a Krispy Kreme donut bun. Fair food is a breed all its own and can usually only be found at certain times during the year, so marketing that right after fair season and during a chicken sandwich frenzy is a smart move.

This isn’t the first time KFC has pushed the boundaries to gain national attention. When the chicken sandwich feud was in full force, KFC announced the sale of Beyond Fried Chicken, which included plant-based boneless wings and nuggets. It was only sold at one location in Atlanta, and it sold more plant-based options in five hours than it would meat-based in one week.

The chain has also marketed a new item called Secret Recipe Fries at select locations, which tastes just like its chicken because they are seasoned with its legendary 11 herbs and spices. KFC said that it is “always testing new menu items to see what resonates with our customers,” but with new menu items coming out in rapid succession at their restaurants in multiple states, it is safe to assume that it is trying to climb igs way to the top of the restaurant wars.

Currently, its newest menu item is only available in Norfolk, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia, and Pittsburgh. If there is a positive customer response, the sandwich will have a nationwide roll-out. If Athens residents want to taste the most interesting chicken sandwich to enter the fray, KFC is only a short drive away.

Charlotte Caldwell is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Charlotte? Email her at cc670717@ohio.edu.