Ohio University safety Jarren Hampton (#12) tackles Marshall University's, Corey Gammage (#14) during the Battle for the Bell on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019.  

Football: Ohio's defense falters in 33-31 loss to Marshall

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — Ohio knew its offense could rebound after it struggled to score points last week against Pitt.

It was right about that sentiment — quarterback Nathan Rourke accounted for four touchdowns and became Ohio’s all-time leader in touchdowns after he hit Ryan Luehrman for a seven-yard pass in the third quarter. The Bobcats also totaled 438 yards.

But it didn’t matter. Instead, Ohio’s defense let it down most in a 33-31 loss to Marshall on Saturday at Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

It was the defense that allowed quarterback Isaiah Green to connect with Xavier Gaines on a 43-yard touchdown after Rourke gave Ohio its first lead with a 72-yard rushing touchdown with 11 minutes left. It was the defense that struggled to make key tackles in the first half to stop big plays, which the Herd pulled together to build a 27-17 halftime lead.

It was the defense that didn’t stop Marshall on its final drive of the game, which started on its own 28-yard line with five minutes left in the game. A stop would’ve given Ohio a chance to take the lead. It didn’t happen.

The Herd totaled 438 yards and scored its only second half touchdown late in the fourth quarter to counter Ohio’s offensive explosion. Green went 17-of-28 for 206 yards and two touchdowns, and the Herd rushed for 305 yards on 45 attempts and scored two touchdown.

Green torched the defense at its most important moment, though.  When Green hit him for the go-ahead touchdown, he was wide open and only had to catch the ball and run diagonally to escape two Ohio defenders to score. The versatile tight end hauled in three receptions for 53 yards and rushed three times for 52 yards.

Ohio will need to win against Louisiana-Lafayette next week if it wants to avoid a 1-3 start to Mid-American Conference play. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Peden Stadium.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu