7 ways to treat and take care of yourself during Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

According to Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE), 4,965 Americans on average die by suicide each year. Struggles such as depression and anxiety, influence many of these individuals to do so. Suicide is a never-ending, worldwide epidemic that will continue to take lives, young and old. However, individuals can take steps to ensure they are practicing healthy behaviors to better ourselves and put our mental health first during Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Here are seven steps to help:

Exercising

Although the thought of leaving your comfortable dorm room to go to Ping may sound dreadful, the experience will ultimately be both physically and emotionally rewarding. Whether it be honing in on yoga or running through College Green or fighting a punching bag, you are guaranteed to relieve built-up stress that you may not even have known was there. The body releases endorphins while exercising, which result in positive, happy feelings. 

Reading 

Picking up a book and diving into an alternate universe is one of the best ways to escape reality. While reading, it is easy to become so immersed in the plot that you begin to feel for the emotions of the narrator. Readers even begin to feel as if they are the narrator or main character. If the stresses of everyday life become too overwhelming, research a new read that seems interesting to you, and stress over a fictional character’s problems instead. 

Writing

Keeping a journal might sound cheesy, but in fact, it is one of the best ways to release bottled-up emotions. Writing to no one in particular is therapeutic in the sense it feels intimate and private. Alternatively, you could also write about a topic that interests you or a short story. Once you finish the piece, the hard work and effort will be gratifying. If you are comfortable, try sharing your piece with a close friend or family member, and wait for the compliments and praise. These words of affirmation and encouragement will conclusively leave one with stronger self-esteem.

Spending time with friends 

In college, it is common for students to find themselves alone more than they probably were growing up. That leaves many new students feeling lonely and confused as to where they fit in. Regardless of how many friends you have at school, having one or two quality friends is perfectly normal. Inviting your friends over for a movie night or study session will allow you to kick back, relax and have an exceptional time while in the presence of people you enjoy. 

Eating healthy foods

While we can all agree that feasting on Goodfella’s Pizza and Insomnia Cookies brings us temporary satisfaction, it does not make us feel lively in the long run. Fatty foods that are high in carbs and sugar are said to cheer you up, when in reality, they sit heavy in your stomach and cause weight gain, which can oftentimes lead to self-loathing. Healthier options will not only make you feel better physically, but the nutrients will give you more energy, leaving you with a happier heart and mind.

Prioritizing your life

With the stresses of coursework, maintaining a social life and partaking in extracurriculars, life can be overwhelming. Keeping a planner and looking at what needs to be completed for the following week is a reliable way to plan how you are going to spend your time outside of class. It is important to focus on your work during the week, so you do not fall behind. Falling behind may lead to a great deal of stress that you simply cannot handle, causing you to give up entirely. Being aware of your tasks allows you to allot time to specifically focus on you. If you stay motivated and organized during the week, there is no reason you should not be able to have fun and take a break from school on the weekends. 

Love yourself

There is no doubt that loving yourself should be the easiest step on the list; however, it is most likely the hardest for the majority of individuals. It is human nature to pick and point out our flaws to ourselves and other people instead of noticing the traits we like best. Next time you find yourself looking in the mirror, in contrast to thinking about what you do not like about yourself, point out what you love. Every day, take the time to note an activity you found success in or did well. This will lead you to discover something new you love about yourself every day, whether it be the way you smile or the way you sound when you laugh. Being confident is the most attractive attribute a person could have. 

If you’re feeling suicidal, please talk to somebody. You can reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255; the Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860; or the Trevor Project at 866-488-7386. Text “START” to Crisis Text Line at 741-741, or in Ohio, text “4HOPE”. If you don’t like the phone, consider using the Lifeline Crisis Chat at www.crisischat.org.

@emmadollenmayer 

ed569918@ohio.edu