‘The Masked Singer’ airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on Fox. (Photo via @JessicaBlevins on Twitter)

TV Recap: ‘The Masked Singer’ proves the Egg to be the opposite of excellent; the Ice Cream gets creamed

On Wednesday, FOX’s laughable celebrity singing competition, The Masked Singer, returned with eight of the season’s sixteen total contestants. The show features well-known celebrities decked out in elaborate head-to-toe costumes and masks meant to conceal their identity. Each episode, different clues are revealed to help a panel of four judges guess who’s under the mask. Here’s a summary of the clues for each contestant and some guesses as to who they are: 

The Butterfly puts on a fly performance

The show opened with the Butterfly, clad in blue and green gemstones, performing an outstanding rendition of Ariana Grande’s “Bang Bang.Among the clues were an image of Big Ben, several references to church and a photoshoot. When Host Nick Cannon posed the question, “What makes you the Butterfly?,” the Butterfly responded with “there’s soul in these wings.” Guess: Fantasia

The Egg wasn’t all he cracked up to be

Despite his underwhelming dance moves, the Egg performed Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance.” References to skateboards, fashion and gold were included in the Egg’s clues, who performed wearing a large egg head and gemstone-lined white jacket. When asked what makes him an Egg, he responded with references to being extra and sparkling. Guess: Johnny Weir

The Thingamajig likes to Singamajig 

Although warning us in his clue package that he wasn’t known for singing, the Thingamajig put on a stellar performance of “Easy” by The Commodores, leading the judges to believe he was a football player with the line “easy like Sunday mornings.” Among his other clues were an abundance of plaid, a pair of shoes and the number four. Guess: Michael Strahan 

The Skeleton has hip dance moves

This one shook us to our bones. The skeleton, obviously not the youngest of the bunch, came out with an interesting mashup of Sugar Hill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” and “Good Times” by Chic, complete with lots of dancing. Some rattling clues for the Skeleton include having no fear of death, always playing second fiddle and a wild Christmas party. Guess: Martin Short

Smackdown One: Egg v. Skeleton

After losing their respective face-offs, the Egg and the Skeleton went head-to-head to reveal who would be revealed. The Skeleton performed “Hard to Handle” by Otis Redding while the Egg performed “One Way or Another” by Blondie. After the panel voted, the Egg was eliminated and later took off his mask to reveal Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir. 

The Ladybug does a spot-on job

This contestant’s playing a different game, like her clue package says. The Ladybug put on a very lady-like performance of Bonnie Tyler’s “Holding out for a Hero.” She had the judges stumped with clues referencing her childhood in the limelight and several gameshow references. Guess: Willow Smith

The Rottweiler has a big bark 

The dog came out roaring with a stellar performance of “Maneater” by Hall & Oates. With an evident competitive bite, the Rottweiler indicated he played football in high school, has a connection with the color blue or roses and is a champion of something. Guess: Sam Hunt

The Tree stood tall and branched out

The Tree left everyone scratching their heads. Performing a stellar rendition of Panic! At the Disco’s “High Hopes,” the Tree indicated she can cook, have some connection to jazz and has an evident southern twang. Guess: Beverly D’Angelo

The Ice Cream seemed to be the coolest performance yet 

The Ice Cream, decked out in sprinkles and chocolate syrup performed Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus’ hit “Old Town Road” while sitting on a tractor. Among the clues for the Ice Cream were references to streamers, emojis and the celebrity “wearing a different mask,” which led the panel to a YouTube gamer. Guess: Pewdiepie

Smackdown Two: Ladybug v. Ice Cream

Again, two of celebrities went head-to-head after losing their original faceoff. This time, it was the Ice Cream who performed “Whip It” by Devo against the Ladybug who performed “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” by Pat Benetar. After deliberation from the panel, the Ice Cream was creamed by the Ladybug. He ended up losing his scoop of ice cream to reveal YouTube gamer Richard Tyler Blevins, also known as Ninja.

The Masked Singer airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on FOX.

@SydneyEWalters 

sw844317@ohio.edu