Alexa Cox (left) and Jami Vandagriff (right) pose for a portrait in their costumes on the afternoon of Saturday, Oct. 26, in Athens, Ohio. 

2019 Athens Halloween Block Party sees more service calls than arrests

There were 18 arrests and service calls during the Athens Halloween Block Party Saturday, which is down from last year’s total arrests.

The block party was shut down at about 11:25 p.m., according to a city news release.

Athens County EMS responded to 14 calls Saturday, Rick Callebs, Athens County EMS Chief, said in a media release. Eight of those calls resulted in people being taken to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital. 

One of those calls was to an overdose that took place at 55 Mill St., which is Delta Zeta’s sorority house, according to a previous Post report. The call was at about 7 p.m. Callebs said the woman was transported to O’Bleness. 

Other transportation reasons included intoxication, allergic reaction, falling that resulted in injury and vomiting, Callebs said in the release. 

The Athens Police Department and the Ohio University Police Department had a total of six arrests over the course of the night.

APD arrested four people on alcohol-related charges Saturday, according to the media release.

OUPD arrested two people on charges that were also alcohol-related. 

Last year during the block party, there were 12 people arrested by APD and 9 people arrested by OUPD, according to a previous Post report. All of those arrests were either alcohol or marijuana charges, with one charge being for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

There were also five calls to the Athens Fire Department.

The Ohio Department of Public Safety Investigative Unit’s arrest statistics are not available at this time, according to the news release.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu