John Fitzgibbon (left) and Gary Hardin (right) show off their halloween costumes on Saturday, Oct. 25 2019.

2019 Halloween in Athens: A timeline

Here is a timeline of events from Halloween on Saturday:

7 p.m.-9 p.m. 

At about 7 p.m., an overdose happened at 55 Mill St., which is Delta Zeta’s sorority house. The girl was transported to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital, Athens County EMS Chief Rick Callebs said.

There were two reported overdoses, Callebs said.

APD Officer Andy Fosters said four or five “nuisance parties” were broken up earlier in the day. 

Officers Anthony Betts and Jason Campbell accompanied Fosters, saying that this year’s Halloween weekend has been calmer than past weekends. 

Josh Vickers, a sophomore studying ITS, had a better experience this year. 

“(I’ve been) listening to great music, having a good time, being a sober bobcat,” Vickers said.

Police horses were at various locations throughout the night.

Horses were also located at the Valero gas station on north Court Street. 

People were gathered near the gas pumps at Valero, staying out of the rain.

Sienna McCoy, a junior studying neuroscience at Penn State University, said she was having a fun time and loves looking at everyone’s costumes. 

“I was here a year ago, and it was very different,” McCoy said. “I felt like there wasn’t as many cops (in the past).”

11 p.m.-midnight

As the concerts on Court Street began to end for the night, performers and audience members alike made sure to make the most of the experience. 

Costumes ranging from the Statue of Liberty to numerous Jokers walked the streets as officers from APD and OUPD directed people to the sidewalks rather than the streets. 

Halloween-goers engaged with preachers on the corner of Washington Street and Court Street in both friendly discourse and the chanting of “beer and weed.”

Phillip Parr, a Thornville, Ohio, resident, was visiting Athens for the day. His sign simply said, “Are you a zombie? Find out here.”

While other preachers were more vocal to the crowds, Parr remained silent across the street with his friend, Christopher Schluep, saying people would approach him and have personal conversations rather than yelling.

“This is the fifth year I’ve used this here … I’ve had people come to Christ or been able to explain the gospel to them … Other people take off running,” Parr said. “It just starts the conversation, and it’s good, and we can talk, and it doesn't mean they agree with me, but sometimes they do.”

Mill Street began to quiet down around 11 p.m. as parties were cleared out and people migrated back toward Court Street. 

12 p.m.-2 p.m.

Halloween 2019 began slowly around noon on Saturday, with only a few people walking around Court Street due to the cold rain.

Allison Smith, a senior studying nursing, was wearing a matching sheet ghost costume with her puppy, Nora.

“It’s harder than you think to put a sheet on a dog,” Smith said.

As some students were trying to get out of the rain, street vendors were setting up their booths on south Court Street.

Kat Gonzales, a vendor for KG Concessions, said that she enjoys helping drunk people sober up by providing them with food.

“Everybody's real friendly, and everybody's here to party,” Gonzales said. “It's just a great community.”

In addition to vendors, some community organizations, including the Athens County Public Library and Spin Electric Scooters, were set up to catch the early afternoon crowd.

The library set up a “pop-up library” booth where people could check out books or sign up for library cards, Taryn Lentes, youth services coordinator of the Athens County Public Library, said.

“The library is for everybody, so we'll take anybody who comes up and wants to join us,” Lentes said.

Spin Electric Scooters set up a booth for the block party with a few scooters available for renting. The scooters, like any vehicle, are not allowed to be operated by those under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

“Just like driving a car, you’re not allowed to drink and drive a scooter,” Jason Shaffner, a representative for Spin Electric Scooters, said.

Olivia Yeager, a sophomore studying biology, and Jenn Rubal, a sophomore studying urban planning and sustainability, were dressed as two of the three blind mice. The third mouse was planning on joining after work.

“We think it's overrated. It's kind of a pain to be living here while it's going on,” Yeager said. “I'd rather be, like, visiting.”

Not all students care for the traditional Athens Halloween festivities.

“I don't really like all the house parties. I think they're kind of dumb,” Paige Strasel, a sophomore studying vocal performance, said.

Strasel said she was planning on watching the Honey for the Heart parade and hanging out at the block party for a little bit. She was dressed as a “bad mom,” wearing pajamas and slinging around a babydoll.

Taylor Burnette, Maddie Bussert, Evan Gallagher, Regan Gray, Jack Hiltner, Vinny Ramundo, Emma Skidmore and Kirsten Thomas contributed to this report.