Relying solely on jumpscares, ‘Countdown’ falls flat like many recent horror films. (Photo provided via @IndieWire on Twitter)

Film Review: ‘Countdown’ falls flat, relying on only jump scares, gore

Horror filmmakers nowadays need to get one thing straight: jump scares do not equal horror films. Clearly, that idea was lost in translation with Justin Dec’s Countdown

The film has an interesting plot that incorporates modern elements with impending death, and it could’ve been a good film. However, the film didn’t live up to these expectations, instead relying on jump scares and special effects to scare the audience.

The film’s premise follows an app that will tell you the exact moment you die, which is a scary concept in and of itself. But the question throughout is whether or not the main characters will be able to escape the two-day countdown to death. The above-average plot could’ve led to something exciting, but the audiences are just let down.

Countdown isn’t scary, but it provides a plethora of jump scares and gory scenes. There is more gore in the film than anything else, and if people are freaked out by gore, then it will be considered scary. However, compared to normal horror film standards, it doesn’t cover all the bases for a great horror film.

First of all, the acting in Countdown is subpar. In a film that flops, the two shining stars are Elizabeth Lail and Peter Facinelli. Known for his role in the Twilight saga, Facinelli portrays a predatory doctor at the hospital where the main character, Quinn (Lail), works. After several unwanted advances toward her, Facinelli tries to turn the situation to his favor, saying she was the one to come onto him. Quite frankly, the #MeToo aspects of the film were scarier than the rest of its intended frightening content. 

Lail and her romantic interest in the film, portrayed by Jordan Calloway, show great chemistry. The pair have terrific acting moments while being scared of what is coming for them, but overall, they don’t do much for the film. 

Unexpectedly, there are some great laugh-out-loud moments in the film. From a rap- and GrubHub-loving priest to a creepy store owner’s Tinder date, audiences should expect to have a few laughs amid an overwhelming number of jump scares. 

The only truly scary moments of Countdown are the first death from the app and the all-too-real #MeToo moments. After 10 minutes, the film falls flat. Though the film possesses the means to create a psychologically-terrifying concept, it chooses the failed route of many of its horror film predecessors, this making it a film to skip.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu