Meet the “Doctor Dogs” who can sniff out diseases; OU has experienced a decrease in transfer students

Today is Monday, Oct. 7, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning,

Dogs around the world are successfully sniffing out life-threatening diseases. These dogs are able to detect malaria, Parkinson’s disease, cancer and other health issues. 

Dogs have been training in San Juan Island, Washington, through a non-profit called Pads for Parkinson’s, and other research centers have been training dogs in England, Canada, Japan, China and other countries around the world.

The dogs are trained by sniffing out different canisters that have the T-shirts of non-Parkinson’s patients and one canister with the T-shirt of a person with Parkinson’s.

The fact that diseases have scents is a relatively new discovery. While humans have 6 million olfactory sensors, dogs have 300 million, which gives them a huge advantage in sniffing out diseases over humans.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Check out these homecoming traditions that people can expect this weekend (The Post)

Ohio University has experienced a decrease in transfer students over the past couple years. (The Post)

Here are five albums to get you in the mood for autumn (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio soccer lost 3-1 against Bowling Green on Sunday. (The Post)

Ohio football has taken a step in the right direction after its win against Buffalo. (The Post)

Ohio field hockey lost 6-1 against Ohio State on Sunday. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Grab an umbrella. There’s a 90% chance of rain with a high of 62 degrees today. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A new Disney World ride crashed, leaving passengers stranded in the sky for hours. (CNN)

Nevada is fighting to keep disease-stricken deer out of the state. (KUTV

Former President Jimmy Carter is recovering after falling at his Georgia home. (NBC News)

@mikayla_roch

mr290816@ohio.edu