5 albums to enjoy this autumn

For some, autumn indicates the coming of winter — leaves fall, temperatures drop and the air becomes crisp. To others, there is a beauty in the uniqueness of fall. It is a season entirely its own, unrelated to summer and winter. It is not a state of in-between, but a state of change. It has its own smell, colors and festivities. Nonetheless, the season carries an aesthetic only amplified by music. Here are five albums that beckon the same mood as autumn: 

Harvest (1972) by Neil Young

Though released in February, Harvest is a quintessential fall album. As the title perhaps hints at, Harvest brings listeners the sounds of fall. Harvest contains some of Young’s biggest hits, including “Heart of Gold” and “Old Man.” The songs on Harvest are representative of the album — full of rich sounds and down-to-earth lyrics. The album has a grounded, pensive sound and begs listeners to reflect what they are experiencing at the time. It is a harvest of experiences and moments, and quite frankly, sounds like how fall makes one feel.

Harvest is also a signature Neil Young album. It features simple sounds, though entrancing and melodic to listeners. Young’s voice is showcased in many of Harvest’s songs, sometimes heightened by a cappella arrangements and string accompaniments. 

Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970) by Simon & Garfunkel 

Bridge Over Troubled Water is arguably Simon & Garfunkel’s greatest work. The album won the Grammy award for Album of the Year in 1971, and it contains two of the duo’s iconic songs, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and “The Boxer.” The sounds of the album vary, but like much of Simon & Garfunkel’s work, are soft and melodic.

What makes Bridge Over Troubled Water so great is the diversity of sounds that are presented. The adventurous and thoughtful sounds of songs like “El Condor Pasa (If I Could)” makes one feel the sunshine of a fall day: warm and comforting, but also envision crispness of a frost-covered horizon. To contrast that, some tracks, like “Keep the Customer Satisfied,” bombard the listener with booming, lively orchestral arrangements. Though fall is a time to reflect, it can also be a time for celebration.

MTV Unplugged in New York (1994) by Nirvana

Released in the midst of fall 1994, MTV Unplugged in New York reflects the period it was made in. The songs are arguably a departure of sound for Nirvana. Though playing much of its own work, Nirvana performs in a the acoustic setting, skewing the traditional grunge sounds for which the band is known. 

On the live album, Nirvana plays acoustic versions of staples like “About A Girl” and “Dumb” as well as covers of David Bowie and other artists. The song from Unplugged that defines its relationship with fall is the cover of Lead Belly’s “In the Pines,” stylized as “Where Did You Sleep Last Night.” The song features an intense performance by Cobain and lyrical imagery that conjures the image of a high, foggy mountain top in the fall. 

Last Splash (1993) by The Breeders

Last Splash may be The Breeders’ biggest record — containing its hit “Cannonball,” famous for its thundering bass line. However, The Breeders is so much more than “Cannonball,” especially on Last Splash

With a grunge-like sound and sweet, soft vocals from frontwoman Kim Deal, Last Splash almost sounds like a rainy fall day. Songs that range from slow-burns and rapid-fire sounds make for an experimental-sounding, well-rounded album. Furthermore, the tracks have simple-sounding and punk rock lyrics, accompanied by a soft touch and joyful-sounding guitar and bass.

MY WOMAN (2016) by Angel Olsen 

Angel Olsen’s MY WOMAN is an unforgettable record from the 2010s. 

Olsen’s distinct voice and mature songwriting are key to her sound. She may remind some of ’70s vocalists Stevie Nicks or Joni Mitchell. Though somewhat classic-sounding, the album features Olsen’s demanding, pop-sounding hit “Shut Up Kiss Me,” which is a more modern tune. The first half of the album is upbeat and inventive while the latter half has great songs for thoughtful, gray fall days. 

@_kerijohnson

kj153517@ohio.edu