From the Editor's Desk: Student journalism is valid journalism

The Post’s audience only sees a fraction of the work that our staff by looking at our content online and in print. 

There is so much that goes behind being a student journalist, and I want to take a moment to appreciate all our staffers for all that they do. 

A regular college student has to worry about going to class, doing homework, studying for exams, exercising, extracurricular, socializing with friends and getting enough sleep. 

As student journalists, we also have to find time to contact sources, write articles, take photos and video, edit stories, teaching staffers, upload content online and create the tabloid weekly. We already have limited free time, but our work at The Post only limits it more. 

That is not to say we don’t love what we do. Everyone is passionate about their position and would not have it any other way. 

Being a student journalist, however, comes with its challenges.

It can be frustrating when we are not taken seriously as journalists. Just because “student” is placed in front of “journalist,” does not mean our work is any less important. 

The Post is a watchdog for the university and the city as well as a voice for all students. 

We are only called student journalists because we are still in college. At any summer internship, we are expected to act like professional journalists, but we consider ourselves that even while still at school. 

While we are still learning, we take pride in all the content we produce. The Post’s work has gone on to win awards over the years and produce journalists from across the country. 

Most of the time we are frustrated because we don’t have enough time in the day to do what we would want as journalists. 

Our work is done in the pockets of free time we have during the day and at night. It could be contacting a source, finishing up a story or teaching a skill to other staff members.

More than we like to admit, we give up some of our priorities to do our best as journalists. Almost every staff member has given up sleep, delayed a homework assignment or skipped a class to put their work as a journalist first. 

People in other majors probably think we are crazy, but we all are passionate about being journalists. 

Being a student journalist is hard, and I know everyone on our staff will leave Ohio University and The Post to do great things. 

Ellen Wagner is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Ellen at ew047615@ohio.edu or tweet her @ewagner19.