Members of the 'Jersey Boys' in the recording studio. (Provided via Andrew Holzaepfel)

‘Walk Like A Man’ to MemAud and see the national tour of ‘Jersey Boys’

One of the most classic and well-known bands is Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and though most people may know their music, this production gives audiences the chance to go behind the scenes and into the lives of the band members. 

The Ohio University Performing Arts and Concert Series will host a one-night engagement of the national tour of Jersey Boys at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

Jersey Boys is a Tony and Grammy award-winning musical that follows the lives of four boys from New Jersey who discovered their immense talent as a group. The show illustrates the idea that, though the group may seem perfect on stage, off-stage there’s more to the story. 

Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director for student activities, works with a team to put together the Performing Arts and Concert Series and thought Jersey Boys would be a great crowd-pleaser. 

“It’s the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, but it’s in a Broadway production so it shows the behind the scenes of the songs,” Holzaepfel said. “So many songs came out of that period from those legendary performers, so it’s obviously going to be a good show. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser kind of performance: very lighthearted and fun.”

When choosing a Broadway show for the series each year, Holzaepfel has to consider a number of factors: first, if the show is available for a one or two-night engagement, second, if the residents of Athens will be interested in the show, and third, if the OU students will be interested in the show. 

Jersey Boys fit all three of Holzaepfel’s criteria and came highly recommended to him by his co-workers. 

With classic songs like “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” “Walk Like A Man,” “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” and “December, 1963 (Oh What A Night),” the audience is sure to be dancing and singing along with the characters from their seats. 

Holzaepfel hasn’t seen the musical before, unlike a lot of the shows that come to the series, so he’s excited to watch it for the first time with the audience. 

“I think audiences are going to really enjoy it,” Holzaepfel said. “It’ll be a crowd pleaser for sure, and that’s just from talking to people who have seen it before. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m going to go, and I’m excited.”

Though Holzaepfel thinks the show may draw in some of the more adult Athens residents than students with the show’s focus being about a band from the 1960s, students are also excited to take in the performance. 

Ceci Rockwell, a freshman studying communication sciences and disorders, is a huge fan of musical theater in general, and though she has not seen Jersey Boys before, she has listened to the soundtrack many times and thoroughly enjoys it.

“I haven’t seen Jersey Boys yet, but I’ve listened to the soundtrack a lot because I’m very big into theater and love the music from the show,” Rockwell said. “So I’m just excited that the concert series gave us the opportunity to see it here, and it’s walking distance which is really nice.”

Kelly Aug, a sophomore studying photography and integrated media, believes in the importance of supporting the Performing Arts and Concert Series. 

“I think going to these productions is really important to support the series, because without it we won’t grow or get funding for the program,” Aug said. “And the show sounds so exciting.”

Though Holzaepfel can’t speak from personal experience, based on the reviews and recommendation, he believes this show will be a huge success. 

Jersey Boys, just based on the awards alone, speaks volumes to the quality of the production,” Holzaepfel said. “I think it’ll be one that will appeal more to the community rather than students, but it’s high quality work and people won’t be disappointed.”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu