Shot of Marlon Wayans. (Provided via Wayans' Twitter)

Get ‘Woke-Ish’ by seeing Marlon Wayans’ comedy night at Memorial Auditorium

The next installment of Ohio University’s Performing Arts and Concert Series will feature comedian and actor Marlon Wayans, who will perform a boundary-pushing stand up comedy show for OU students and Athens residents. 

Wayans is most known for his work in the movie White Chicks, the first two Scary Movie films and producing both A Haunted House films while starring in the second. 

Aside from acting and producing, Wayans is a writer and comedian, with a Netflix comedy special called Marlon Wayans: Woke-Ish

Corbin Marsh, assistant director of programming for the Performing Arts and Concert Series, was thrilled to get Wayans on the lineup for this year’s series. 

“I’m really excited about the show,” Marsh said. “I’ve been a fan of Marlon Wayans for a long time, and I think he’s a great comedian that crosses cultural and generational boundaries and has a broad base of fans, and I think he’s pretty funny.”

Every year, the programming directors of the series set out to find a comedian outside of a family weekend for each semester. After contacting an agent and naming their price, they narrowed their search down to Wayans, who they said met all of their goals for the slot. 

“It’ll be interesting to be honest,” Marsh said. “He’s pretty well known so I don’t think we’ll be catching anyone off guard. And I don’t think he’s going to be that offensive, so I think it’s going to be well received.”

Marsh knows that for students, the Performing Arts and Concert Series competes with the large levels of free entertainment offered between Netflix, YouTube and every other streaming service out there. However, he believes a live show is an exciting break from staring at a screen and encourages people to come check out the show. 

When finding a comedian, the programming directors have some set goals they want to meet with who they pick, and one of those goals is diversity. Athens county and OU students are predominantly white, so Marsh believes part of his job is not necessarily just to present entertainment that makes people comfortable, but to expose people to other people’s cultures. 

“We’re always encouraging to have a more diverse student base and faculty base, and with entertainment,” Marsh said. “And not just with Marlon, but I think our full roster; we’ve done a really great job of representing a lot of different groups and cultures. So, both making people who are underrepresented feel more comfortable and that we recognize them and are bringing entertainment, and other cultural events that they can relate to, while also the other people getting more exposure to different cultures through art and entertainment.”

Students are looking forward to seeing Wayans live. 

Marionna McMillon, a sophomore studying music therapy, has always loved Wayans work and jumped at the opportunity to see him live. 

“I grew up watching Marlon, and I really like comedy,” McMillon said. “I think it’s going to be a really good show.”

James Corey, a junior studying finance, also grew up watching Wayans and was thrilled to have the opportunity to see him live. 

“He’s my favorite actor and comedian,” Corey said. “I have seen all of his stuff so I know his show is going to be amazing.”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu