Ohio's QB Nathan Rourke (12) hands the ball to RB De'Montre Tuggle (24) in the third quarter of the first Mid-American Conference against the Buffalo Bulls in Buffalo, NY on Friday, Oct. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Football: Instant reactions from Ohio's 21-20 win over Buffalo

AMHERST, N.Y.  — Ohio had its issues to fix during the bye week, and it showed glimpses of its corrections. The defense had its moments where it looked like it had returned seven starters from a year ago. The offense, while still working through the newness of skill players, did just enough as the Bobcats squeaked by Buffalo in a 21-20 overtime win in their Mid-American Conference opener.

Here are The Post’s quick reactions following the win.

Offensive slopiness

From top to bottom the Ohio (2-3, 1-0 MAC) offense stuttered. The offensive line allowed four sacks, one of which led to the fumble that set up a Buffalo (2-4, 0-2 MAC) touchdown in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Nathan Rourke threw an interception and had the aforementioned fumble. The Bobcats had a chance to take the lead after the halfway mark of the fourth quarter, but a holding penalty on Hagen Meservy negated a 29-yard run by Rourke. The biggest highlight from the offense, however, was the return of running back O’Shaan Allison who scored the Bobcats overtime touchdown. 

Defense showed positive signs, but needs more

In the first four games of its schedule, Ohio allowed an average of 464 yards per game, but it held the Bulls to 378 total yards — the lowest total it has had all season against an FBS team. Entering the game, Buffalo led all FBS teams in rushing attempts with 256, and it didn’t show signs of stopping attacking Ohio’s weakest part of the defense. On 36 attempts in regulation, the Bulls had 156 rushing yards. Missed tackles were less apparent than they had been in the Bobcats’ first four games, which is a positive step. Ohio was able to force one turnover as well but did not record any sacks.

Experience pays

Buffalo’s kicker Jackson Baltar missed perhaps the most important kick of his young career. The freshman missed the extra point attempt in overtime that ended up being the difference-maker in Saturday’s game. Ohio kicker Louie Zervos, who had missed a 52-yard field goal attempt, hasn’t missed an extra point since the 2017 season and the redshirt senior holds a 97% completion rate.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu