Ohio's A.J. Ouellette pushes through Kent State's defensive line during the Bobcats game against the Golden Flashes on Oct. 21, 2017. (FILE)

Football: A look at Ohio's last three games against Kent State

Ohio will look to bounce back in the Mid-American Conference standings in its upcoming game Saturday against MAC East Division foe Kent State after a 39-36 loss to Northern Illinois over the weekend. 

The Golden Flashes have given the Bobcats fits in two of their last three games against each other and with the success — or lack thereof — from both programs this season, Saturday’s game could be another potential down-to-the-wire contest.

Here’s a look at the last three games between Ohio and Kent.

2018

Ohio opened up conference play with a road trip to Dix Stadium in what was supposed to be a blow out of the 1-3 Flashes. Instead, it took a last-minute drive and a little extra help from Kent’s defense for Ohio to escape with a 27-26 win.

Kent quarterback Woody Barrett threw two touchdown passes in the first quarter and lead a seven-play, 44-yard drive that resulted in a 49-yard field goal to put the Flashes up 17-7 at halftime.

The Bobcats offense started to hum in the second half behind the legs of quarterback Nathan Rourke and running back A.J. Ouellette. The two of them each had a running touchdown, and Ouellette’s came on the final drive of the game that gave Ohio its first and only lead of the game.

2017

The last time Kent played in Peden Stadium, it had a strong start, and that was about it. After kicker Shane Hynes kicked a 33-yard field goal in the first quarter, the Flashes offense was shut down and Ohio put together one of its more impressive games of that season in a 48-3 route.

There really isn’t much else to say about the Flashes’ offense after their field goal drive. They totaled 166 yards and had two turnovers compared to the Bobcats’ 474 total yards.

Ohio had four different players with at least 50 rushing yards, highlighted by former running back Dorian Brown’s 108 yards on 13 carries.

Rourke had 191 total yards and three total touchdowns in the game that gave the Bobcats their third MAC win of that season.

2016

Ohio yet again narrowly edged its way past Kent in Dix Stadium behind a 14-10 win. Ohio’s ground game was efficient enough to lead the Bobcats past the Flashes. Brown once again was the feature back and totaled 110 yards and one touchdown on 12 carries. Former running back Maleek Irons was also a staple in the ground game with 13 carries for 83 yards and one touchdown.

The Bobcats’ defense held Kent to 264 total yards, and the 10 points allowed was their third-lowest allowed in conference play that season.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu