Ohio University wide receiver, Shane Hooks (#5) attempts to shake Northern Illinois University defense during the home game on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's 39-36 loss to Northern Illinois

Ohio dropped its homecoming game 39-35 to Northern Illinois on Saturday at Peden Stadium. The Huskies defeated the Bobcats after they kicked a game-winning field goal with three seconds remaining.

Here’s some quick takeaways from the loss.

Defensive struggles return

Ohio’s defense took a step in the right direction last week against Buffalo.

It took a big step back against NIU, who dominated the second half and took advantage of a lack of production from the Bobcats’ offense.

The momentum changer happened five minutes into the third quarter when backup quarterback Marcus Childers rushed for 70 yards to put the Huskies in position for a touchdown two plays later to make the score 21-16 Ohio.

The dagger came on the last drive of the game when the running back Tre Harbison plowed through the defense for 46 yards on four consecutive plays to set the Huskies up for the game-winning kick.

It’s the same issues that led to Ohio’s 1-3 start from nonconference play.

This time, the Bobcats won’t have a bye week to figure things out. Six games into the season, it’s fair to question if Ohio will ever have an answer to improve its defense.

#MACtion happened

The second quarter couldn’t have been more wild.

First, Ohio brought back the play widely known as “The Philly Special.” The Bobcats originally used it first, however, two seasons ago against Akron when quarterback Nathan Rourke caught a pass from wide receiver Andrew Meyer. They ran it again Saturday — the pass this time was from D.L. Knock — to take a 14-10 lead in the second quarter.

Five minutes later, Ilyaas Motley intercepted NIU quarterback Ross Bowers. The cornerback attempted to lateral the ball, though, and it was originally ruled a fumble recovery by the Huskies.

After a review, officials deemed that Motley made an illegal forward pass. There was no fumble on the play, and it was Ohio’s ball.

On the next drive, Rourke lobbed a screen pass to Austen Pleasants, a 312-pound offensive lineman, for a walk-in touchdown.

That’s the craziness that sometimes occurs in Group of 5 football.

Rourke isnt enough

Nathan Rourke gashed NIU, which entered with the top-ranked passing defense in the conference, for 258 passing yards, 80 rushing yards and three total touchdowns.

It was another performance to stash into Rourke’s career highlight reel, but it meant nothing. The Bobcats needed just one defensive stop to change that, but they couldn’t find it.

Instead, the Huskies scored points on their last five drives of the game. All of Rourke’s work, which included two key fourth quarter touchdowns, was essentially meaningless.

Rourke only has six games left with Ohio, and he’s not guaranteed a seventh — a bowl appearance.

Coach Frank Solich needs to ensure those games don’t go to waste.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu