Members of the Ohio University Board of Trustees meet in 2019 in Walter Hall (FILE:). 

Board of Trustees addresses suspended fraternities

Audit and Risk Management Committee 

Erik Hildebrand, associate Athletic Director for compliance, along with Athletic Director Julie Cromer presented news and updates regarding student athletics.

Hildebrand addressed what he sees as “hot topics” before the committee. Among these was the newly revamped transfer portal, the evolving world of amateurism, and the possible legalization of sports wagering in Ohio as it is being legalized in some states.

“This seems like a seismic opportunity for compliance issues,” board Chair Dave Scholl said. I think it’s a whole new world out there.”

Hildebrand said OU only had six level three violations in 2018 at division schools. There were about 3,000 across the country.

President Duane Nellis said he signed a letter in correspondence with other university presidents across the state in opposition to any sports wagering.

Main Board Meeting

The Board approved a new national trustee and said it fully supports the suspension of fraternities at the main Board meeting.

“Hazing is not tolerated at Ohio University,” Scholl said. “Hazing needs to stop.”

The university is investigating all of the reports and the Board was informed that ethical practices are consistent within the investigations, Scholl said.

“Complex items and issues sometimes don’t have a calendar,” Board of Trustees Chair Dave Scholl said. “Hazing is hard to define, and we’re going to get it defined. I think that’s the opportunity the leaders have decided and the Board is 100% behind that position. On a calendar position, learning moments happen unscheduled.”

Nellis said the biggest priority is student safety and he has heard alumni being supportive of the actions the university has taken.

“Certainly the timing of this type of announcement is not ideal, but we always want to focus on doing what we feel is the right thing,” Nellis said. “We are always committed to student safety and welfare and when we heard about this we didn’t delay in our actions.”

The Board also approved Anna Harvey, a political science professor at New York University, to be the next national trustee.

Harvey, who is from Athens, graduated from the Honors Tutorial College in 1988.

Scholl said having a professor on the Board would benefit the Board as a whole.

“She is truly a gifted person who brings a unique perspective having grown up in Athens,” Nellis said. “I think she brings a unique and important perspective and I really look forward to working with her.”

During his presidential report, Nellis said Hugh Sherman, dean of the College of Business, is leaving OU at the end of the academic year. A search for Sherman’s replacement is already underway.

The Board also approved a partnership with the Cleveland Clinic to add a Master of cardiovascular diffusion. There will be seven students at the beginning of the program.

Emma Skidmore, Vinny Ramundo, Regan Gray, Ian McKenzie and Nolan Simmons contributed to this report.