President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Sorority and Fraternity Life Director gives Student Senate an update on suspended organizations

Clarification appended. 

Sorority and Fraternity Life Director Ariel Tarosky presented at the Student Senate meeting Wednesday about the goals the center has for the sorority and fraternity chapters at Ohio University.

There are 31 sororities and fraternities on campus, and with at least 18 on suspension, Tarosky’s goal is to make sure that the sororities and fraternities really value social justice, academics, and philanthropy rather than exclusivity, drinking, and partying.

“This is a really great opportunity for our community,” Tarosky said. “I think we have time for a fresh start. We can really build.  I think that we’re going to start to see some new leaders emerge.”

Moving forward, Tarosky said the organizations currently on suspension but not issued a cease and desist are working to establish goals. These include working with other organizations to try reestablish their active status as soon as possible and change the narrative of how Greek life values are viewed. 

The presidents of the 15 suspended fraternities met with Tarosky this week to discuss their short term goals and plans to help stop hazing. Those whose plans get approved can be unsuspended as early as next week, she said.

Tarosky wants to work toward improving internal relationships between chapters, the university, and the Athens community. She has a goal of making rush week for Greek life more inclusive, creating more substance abuse programs, and possibly creating more mental health services for those involved in Greek life.

The meeting continued with Student Trustee Austin McClain giving student senate a recap of everything that happened at the Board of Trustees meeting.

Student Senate also passed a bill proposed by the minority affairs committee in support of the university having a letter template for religious diversity available to students.

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu  

Clarification: The article has been updated to clarify that Ariel Tarosky is not responsible for  suspension of the fraternities and sororities.