6 spooky podcasts that will get you in the mood for Halloween

Whether it’s murder stories, ghost stories or modern horror that gets your heart rate racing, the realm of podcasts has what you need. Getting into the Halloween spirit can be hard, especially with 90 degree weather that helped kick off October. 

My Favorite Murder

As one of the most well-known murder podcasts, My Favorite Murder has cultivated a unique group of avid followers called, “Murderinos.” The podcast features comedians Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. Listeners are treated to witty comments and jokes based around the subjects of murder and true crime. Each episode is met with tales of iconic murder sprees, small-town stories and pure comedy that’ll leave your stomach sore from laughing so much.

Serial

Each season of this podcast is hosted by investigative journalist, Sarah Koenig. She focuses on telling one crime-related story throughout the entirety of a single season. Serial brings in elements of actual crimes such as first-hand accounts, witness testimonies and other forms of evidentiary support. This allowed the listeners to come to their own conclusions before stating what the courts concluded. Serial is available on Apple Podcasts, Pandora and Google Podcasts.

Haunted Places

Each Thursday, you can expect a great story about notorious hauntings all over the world with Haunted Places. Greg Polcyn focuses on locations with supernatural pasts and strangely high body counts and breaks out some high-quality storytelling skills. Don’t listen to this podcast alone at night, otherwise you might not feel very alone anymore.

Snap Judgment Presents: Spooked

Nothing is more terrifying than a real-life ghost story. With bone-chilling stories and creepy sound effects, Spooked will leave you shaking in your seat and riddled with fear. The stories  talked about have blood-curdling details that will make you think twice next time you check underneath your bed. Fans of horror will find this podcast to be a new favorite for getting in the spooky season.

This Podcast Will Kill You

For everyone who isn’t afraid of ghosts, but rather disease, this one’s for you.Ecologist Erin Welsh and epidemiologist Erin Allmann Updyke talk about various diseases and bacteria that had major implications on the history of mankind. From the plague, to the common cold to  flesh-eating bacteria, Welsh and Updyke dig into the nitty gritty details and provide plenty of descriptions, easy for non-medical listeners to understand. 

The Dark Verse

With a major focus on occult, The Dark Verse provides interesting and unique ghost stories designed to give chills to listeners. While it may come off as cheesy, this podcast isn’t written to fit into the pop culture horror that’s seen in society today. These stories are made with intention and attention to detail. This podcast brings audio effects to the forefront through distortion and voice modulators. 

@hiltnerjack

jh396418@ohio.edu

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director