Six of the the contestants performed Wednesday on ‘The Masked Singer.’ (Photo provided via @maskedsingerfox on Instagram)

TV Review: 6 celebrities perform on ‘The Masked Singer,’ 1 suffers a bone-crushing defeat

This week’s episode of The Masked Singer brought back six of the twelve remaining contestants. Among the celebrities vying for a place in the next round were Thingamajig, Black Widow, Butterfly, Skeleton, Flamingo and Leopard. Here’s a recap of the night’s performances:

Flamingo 

One of the most important clues from the Flamingo’s clue package was her going from “hood rat to Hollywood triple threat.” She later states she was discovered by a powerful wizard, who allowed her to pursue her dreams. After a stellar rendition of “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins, it’s evident this celebrity knows what she’s doing behind the mic. 

Guess: Adrienne Bailon

Leopard

The Leopard’s clue package points straight at this celebrity being a wrestling star with quotes like “It made me more determined than ever to prove that I’m still a primetime champion” and “that would be my greatest title yet.” After an emotional performance of “Stitches” by Shawn Mendes, the judges quickly abandoned the idea of a wrestler being behind the mask. 

Guess: Dennis Rodman

Black Widow

The hints from this clue package were hard to weave together. Black Widow discussed her “squeaky clean” image while playing in a playhouse castle. Near the end of the package, there appears to be a framed record in the background, implying she is a trained vocalist. This is obvious after the performs a stunning rendition of “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. 

Guess: Raven-Symone

Skeleton

Most of the skeleton’s clue package indicates he is somehow overlooked and not usually in the spotlight, with quotes like “The long and short of it is that ever since childhood, I felt overshadowed.” After his performance of “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?” by Jet, it’s clear his vocals aren’t his strongest talent.

Guess: Martin Short

Thingamajig

The fuzzy and cuddly character has everyone stumped. His clue package was as unique as he is, with security guards holding up dolls and his plea with viewers that he’s “just as warm and fuzzy on the inside as I am on the outside,” implying he might be an intimidating figure outside of the costume. He clearly has some vocal training after his performance of “Rainbow” by Kacey Musgraves leaves judge Nicole Sherzinger in tears. 

Guess: Victor Oladpio

Butterfly

The Butterfly’s clue package doesn’t seem to change with more shots of London and Big Ben. This clue package also emphasizes her past, the struggles she has faced and her fear in returning to the big stage. He performance wins the night with her rendition of “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi. 

Guess: Michelle Williams

The Reveal

The episode doesn’t include a smackdown like the previous episodes, but instead, one contestant was eliminated based on votes from the audience. The Skeleton was eventually voted off and revealed to be Paul Shaffer, who’s most well-known as David Letterman’s musical director. 

@SydneyEWalters

sw844317@ohio.edu