Target is reviving the Toys 'R' Us brand online; today is World Mental Health Day

Today is Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Your favorite childhood toy store may not be dead yet: Target revived Toys “R” Us online Tuesday. 

The iconic retailer closed its doors last year, but a new deal between Target and Toys “R” Us parent company Tru Kids Brands has brought the toy store new life. Shoppers can use the Toys “R” Us website to buy gifts, and their purchases will be completed through target. 

"Our US strategy is to bring back the Toys "R" Us brand in a modern way," Richard Barry, the CEO of Tru Kids, said in a statement to CNN.

A spokesperson for Tru Kids told CNN that two new Toys “R” Us stores will open in New Jersey and Texas this year. Tru Kids hopes to open ten new stores in the U.S. by the end of 2020.

According to USA Today, however, Tru Kids might be making a mistake in letting Target, a longtime rival of Toys “R” Us, control the brand.

"If Tru Brands was truly trying to rebuild a sustainable toys business, they would never want to outsource their e-commerce to a third party and certainly not to a rival," Jason Goldberg, chief commerce strategy officer of Publicis Communications, told USA Today.

Regardless, holiday shoppers will be able to return to a longtime favorite brand for toys this season. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s what it takes to play in Ohio University’s alumni band (The Post)

Today is World Mental Health Day. (The Post)

The third annual Homecoming 5K Fun Run and Walk will take place Saturday. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Meet Ohio football’s director of strength and conditioning, Dak Notestine (The Post)

Here’s what to expect as Ohio takes on Northern Illinois this Saturday (The Post)

Here’s how a group of OU students play a role in acting out the offensive play calls (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another sunny day in Athens! Expect clear skies with a high of 77 degrees today. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Smartphones are changing the way a whole generation types. (The Washington Post)

Alex Trebek reflects on sharing his cancer diagnosis. (ABC)

A Florida man overslept for jury duty and spent ten days in jail. (Boston.com)

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu