Twitter to remove political advertisements; check out these events during Dads weekend

Today is Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019 Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

If you’re tired of political advertisements filling up your Twitter feed on a daily basis, pretty soon all those advertisements will be banned. In a Twitter thread, the CEO of Twitter, Jack Dorsey announced that most political advertisements will be removed from the website on Nov. 22. 

In the thread, Dorsey argued that the decision was not based on limiting free expression but instead discouraging paying for reach and spreading misinformation. The full policy will be available on Nov. 15 and will ban all issue and candidate advertisements, but will allow for some exceptions, such as ads for voter registration. 

This decision comes a few weeks after Facebook and Twitter both refused to remove ads following a letter from Joe Biden’s presidential campaign saying the ads from Donald Trump’s reelection campaign were based on information that had not been backed up. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Check out some of the changes coming to the renovation projects at The Ridges (The Post)

Plan out a fun weekend with these fun events for Dads Weekend (The Post)

Learn more about a dance group on campus, the Athens Black Contemporary Dancers (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Here’s why this weekend is important for Ohio’s volleyball team (The Post)

Here’s what you need to know about Ohio soccer’s match against Kent State (The Post)

Here's what Ohio football coach Frank Solich said at his latest press conference (The Post)

Athens Weather

Make sure you grab your umbrella this morning. There’s a 100% chance of rain with a high of 66 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Game of Thrones is getting a spinoff series on HBO in May. (Buzzfeed News)

Juul has allegedly shipped at least a million contaminated pods without issuing a recall. (NBC News)

A Nationals fan that chose to save his beers by taking a ball to the chest received free trips to game 6 and 7 of the World Series and is now the star of a Bud Light commercial. (ABC News)

@SydneyEWalters

sw844317@ohio.edu