5 underrated horror movies for October

We all know that finding a good horror movie is an accomplishment in itself, but finding one that you’ve never heard of is even better. This list shows that horror movies don’t always have to be high-budget films to be scary. It’s all about the ability to scare the audience in unique ways. Here are five movies that prove a horror film with any budget can be scary, just in time for Halloween.

Insidious (2010)

This film tells the story of a young boy named Dalton who goes into a coma after seeing a mysterious figure in the attic of his house. Insidious shows the process of Dalton’s family trying to retrieve him from an alternate universe. If you’re into a scary film with a great plot, Insidious may be just for you.

It Follows (2014)

It Follows is a thriller that has a very unique plot. The horror film follows a group of teenagers who have to live with a disease for the rest of their lives. The disease is death, which is passed on by sexual intercourse. Death takes the form of different figures and follows the recipient in the form of anything it pleases, and will stop at nothing to kill the victim.

Oculus (2013)

Oculus is a film that you can watch 100 times and get something new out of it every single time. This film blends aspects of traditional horror with more psychological elements that will be sure to keep you guessing throughout the entire film. Oculus takes the viewers on the journey of a brother and sister who go to their childhood home and are forced to relive their past, while trying to overcome new obstacles.

Verónica (2017)

Verónica is a Spanish horror film that tells the story of a young girl that becomes possessed after playing with a Ouija board in the basement of her Catholic school. The scariest part is that it’s based on a true story that took place in Madrid in 1992. This film has common possession-based horror movie themes, but Verónica takes those themes and takes them to a level that will astonish the viewer.

Us (2019)

Another masterpiece by director Jordan Peele, Us is a must-see psychological thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire film. Us follows Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong’o) and her family as they return to a beach home where she’s had some unpleasant memories. The return brings out the bad side of her — literally.

@JoeyPerkins_

jp391418@ohio.edu