Seniors Kendall Ballad and Karynne Baker celebrate shortly before the start of their game against Ball State. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio falls to Appalachian State 5-4 in overtime

Ohio entered the Mid-American Conference Tournament coming of its best season since 2011. Ohio also hoped to gain a win in back-to-back years in the MAC Tournament. 

Ohio’s season came to an end on Thursday, however, after the Bobcats lost 5-4 to Appalachian State in an overtime thriller in Oxford.

The Bobcats defense has been impressive as of late, but today it was a different story. It allowed its most goals in a match since Oct. 6. 

Appalachian State seemed to always have an answer for an Ohio goal. The Bobcats scored their first goal four minutes into the match, as junior Jillian Shive scored to make it 1-0. Less than four minutes later, Appalachian State responded with a goal from Pauline Mangold.

Senior Kendall Ballard scored two goals within six minutes to give the Bobcats a two goal lead in the second quarter. That lead was short-lived, though, as Appalachian State dominated the end of the first half and scored two goals in the last three minutes to tie the match.

The Bobcats two goal lead disappeared, leading to a momentum shift between the teams. A late first half breakdown of the improved defense will now haunt the team’s season. 

After a scoreless third quarter, the Bobcats took the 4-3 lead with a goal from Emma Spinetto. But as they did all match, the Mountaineers responded and tied the match just a minute later. 

As they entered overtime, tensions were high as both teams had its season on the line. Meghan Smart was able to control a deflected save and shot it into the goal, giving Appalachian State the victory.

Ohio dominated the ball the entire match, outshooting Appalachian State 26-12. Ohio also led the Mountaineers in penalty corners 10-4, but it couldn’t capitalize on those opportunities to break the game open. 

The Bobcats improved by two wins in the MAC this season and will now turn their sights to next season.

@Willshep13

ws905818@ohio.edu