US House of Representatives passes resolution on impeachment inquiry of President Trump; a Pumpkin Chuckin’ event will happen this weekend

Today is Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

The US House of Representatives voted to endorse Democratic rules on Thursday for how they will conduct the impeachment inquiry on President Donald Trump. The vote was 232-196 — marking the fourth time in history the full House authorized impeachment inquiry. The focus of the investigation sparked after Trump’s urging of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.

The voting has resulted in a bitterly divided House. “What is at stake in all this is nothing less than our democracy,” stated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “Let us honor our oath of office. Let us defend or democracy.” Likewise, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said Democrats are engaged in a “partisan effort to destroy the president.” 

The House will recess for one week beginning Friday. Within that time, lawmakers leading the investigation will “will wrap up closed-door witness depositions with government officials.” Among their targets is John R. Bolton, Trump’s former national security advisor, who helped lock down a summary of the July phone call with President Zelensky.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Dairy Barn is hosting a Felted Sugar Skull Workshop to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos. (The Post)

Bring your rotting pumpkins to the Pumpkin Chuckin’ event at the Athens Fairgrounds this Saturday. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio men’s basketball was picked to finish last in its division by a Mid-American Conference preseason coaches poll. (The Post)

Ohio volleyball will travel to Miami on Friday and Bowling Green on Saturday in the Mid-American Conference East. (The Post)

Here’s what to watch for in Ohio hockey’s game against Michigan-Dearborn this weekend (The Post)

Athens Weather

You can finally put the umbrella away, but don't forget a jacket. Today will be sunny with a high of 44 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Apple introduces gender-neutral emojis in iOS 3.2 update. (The Guardian)

Check out these celebrities’ Halloween costumes (People)

Three people were killed and nine others wounded after mass shooting in Long Beach, Calif. (ABC 7)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu