Ohio University class gateway in Athens, Ohio. 

2 student organizations placed on disciplinary probation

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include the most accurate information.

Ohio University placed the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity and Theta Tau engineering fraternity on disciplinary probation until 2021.

Theta Tau’s probation started Dec. 12 and lasts until Dec. 12, 2021. The probation is for selling, furnishing or distributing alcohol, for alcohol in a student organization and for hazing.

Alpha Epsilon Pi’s probation started Dec. 9 and will last until Oct. 2, 2021. The probation is for disruptive conduct and failure to comply, according to the university’s website.

Alpha Epsilon Pi violated its cease and desist by holding a formal in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, according to a letter sent to the fraternity from Katy Snyder, assistant director of Community Standards and Student Responsibility. 

A fraternity representative accepted the responsibility for the organization, and the two-year probation was accepted.

The fraternity was given a cease and desist Oct. 2 after a graduate assistant reported that he heard one member said he had to send the weather to the members of the fraternity as part of the fraternity’s hazing, according to a previous Post report.

The president and the Theta Tau national organization worked to develop the fraternity’s sanctions.

Theta Tau members must develop an alcohol intervention program by March 6, 2019. The content of the program must be approved by Community Standards, according to a letter to the fraternity from Taylor Tackett, assistant dean of students and director of Community Standards and Student Responsibility.

The fraternity also has to develop a hazing prevention program focused on power-based dynamics by April 6, 2019, according to the letter from Tackett. A full-time staff member from the Office of Community Standards must be present at the program, and 75% or more of the members must be present for it to be considered complete.

Theta Tau also must develop a social hosting process to “mitigate risk around the use of alcohol and drugs within the organization” and at events. The final version of the process must be approved by the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility.

If the organizations’ members break the Student Code of Conduct while under probation, the organizations can be suspended or expelled from the university, according to university policy.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu