Petition to feature Kobe Bryant as the NBA logo surpasses 2 million signatures; an eSports facility is coming to Scripps Hall

Today is Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Following the tragic death of Kobe Byrant on Sunday, fans are petitioning to use Bryant’s silhouette image as the new NBA logo. The Change.org petition has since surpassed 2.5 million signatures of those in favor of the tribute to Bryant. 

“With the untimely and unexpected passing of the great Kobe Bryant please sign this petition in an attempt to immortalize him forever as the new NBA,” reads the petition created by Nikyar Moghtader. The current NBA image was designed in 1969 and features former Los Angeles Lakers player, Jerry West.

“If they would want to change it, I wish they would,” stated West. “He has left the world a better place. Kobe’s legacy will live forever.” Many fans have turned to social media to post new logo ideas — pushing the #MakeKobeTheLogo movement.

The NBA has not commented on the request.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s what you need to know about the Poetry Out Loud Semifinal happening this weekend (The Post)

Ohio University approved the construction of an eSports facility in Scripps Hall. (The Post)

There will be a “breakfast of champions” on Saturday for National Girls and Women in Sports Day. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Here’s what you need to know about Ohio hockey’s Zach Curry and his nunchucks (The Post)

Ohio wrestling’s Alec Hagan is continuing to develop into one of the team’s best wrestlers. (The Post)

Ohio women’s basketball won 70-57 against Akron on Wednesday. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Bundle up. Today there will be a 30% chance of snow flurries in the afternoon and a high of 40 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

China has reported more than 130 deaths and almost 6,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. (Sky News)

Chipotle was fined $1.3 million for more than 13,000 child labor violations in Massachusetts. (The Boston Globe)

Here are the new emojis coming to iPhones, Androids and more in 2020 (9to5mac)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu