Blotter: Man mistakes noodle for snake; man uses other people’s Wi-Fi

Really skinny snake

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to North Plains Road on Jan. 3 for a report of a snake inside of an apartment.

The deputies determined that it was not a snake but a spaghetti noodle. No other action was taken.

California dreaming

Deputies spoke with a woman about a missing person on Jan. 7.

The woman said her adult son had boarded a flight to see a friend in California, but the mother did not approve of this travel. She reported her son as a missing person, so he would be stopped when he landed in California.

Deputies told the mother that her son was not missing if he willingly and knowingly boarded the plane.

Anything for Wi-Fi

Deputies received a report of a suspicious person who was riding a bicycle on Jan. 7 in Chauncey.

The subject was lingering around the street, according to the caller. The deputies contacted the man, who said he was using the Wi-Fi from a nearby house.

He was found not to be committing any crimes.

A bit of exercise

Deputies were advised of a cow that was loose on the bike path on Dec. 28, 2019, near Eclipse Village.

A road unit patrolled the bike path but did not locate a cow.

Nothing to see here

Deputies were called to Columbus Road for a fire report on Dec. 29, 2019.

Deputies requested to make contact with a subject who started yelling at deputies. The deputies talked to the man, who said that he was “just picking up trash and attempting to clean up the area.”

The fire was extinguished, and units returned to patrol.

Just needy

Deputies were dispatched to Orpha Lane on Dec. 19, 2019, for a report of a note being left at a house for the homeowners.

The residents said they were not worried about the note, but they requested more patrols in the area.

Stopping power

Deputies responded to Palmer Street in Jacksonville for a third party report of domestic dispute on Dec. 19, 2019.

The caller said he believed that his adult son was in the basement “huffing brake cleaner.”

The son did not smell like brake cleaner, and he did appear to be under the influence of any kind. 

Camper

Deputies responded to High Street in Chauncey on Dec. 17, 2019, in reference to a homeowner who found a tarp tent in the woods behind her house.

Deputies determined the tent was past the property line. Deputies advised the homeowner they could still call if the man returned. The man fled when deputies arrived.

Don’t play

A person reported a truck doing donuts in the snow on Dec. 16, 2019, at the State Route 550 Park and Ride.

Deputies found the truck and told the driver “not to play in the parking lot.”

The driver said they were waiting for a ride to work.

Not quite a dumpster diver

The Athens Police Department responded to a call at 983 E. State St. at 10:37 p.m. for a call about a man who climbed into a clothes donation bin in Lowes.

The man was arrested on a warrant.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu

Have a tip or story idea you’d like to share with The Post? We want to hear from you. Contact: news@thepostathens.com. There are also several ways to get in touch with us here.