Cannabis major is added at Colorado university; candidate for Athens poet laureate introduced at council meeting

Today is Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Colorado State University’s Pueblo campus will officially offer a major in cannabis in the fall of 2020. 

State officials approved a bachelor’s of science degree in Cannabis Biology and Chemistry, which is one of the first of these programs in the country. 

The program will mainly consist of chemistry and biology coursework with some classes in math and physics. Students can choose one of two tracks: a natural products track focused on biology, or an analytical track focused on chemistry. 

The degree will be good for entering the cannabis and hemp industries or in governmental work, but could also be helpful in agriculture, food science, biochemistry and environmental sciences. 

Though it is not the first campus to try the cannabis-centric major, it certainly won’t be the last. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s a recap of last night’s city council meeting (The Post)

The Academy Awards bring a plethora of red carpet looks. Here are some of the most iconic and memorable looks from the 2020 Oscars (The Post)

Opinion: It’s time to end corporate welfare. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Here’s everything you need to know for Ohio’s matchup against Western Michigan (The Post)

Amani Burke is one of Ohio’s most consistent players. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today is cloudy with 60% chance of morning rain. The high is 47 degrees and the low is 31 degrees with low winds. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A California man single-handedly tracked down the driver who killed his wife in a hit-and-run. (New York Post)

Samsung released an ad for the new Galaxy Z Flip for the phone’s first look in an Oscars commercial. (Android Police)

Swiss voters approved a referendum to ban anti-gay discrimination in a 63% to 37% approval. (NBC)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu