Netflix’s ‘I Am Not Okay with This’ packs a powerful punch. (Photo provided via @seewhatsnext on Twitter)

TV Review: ‘I Am Not Okay with This’ packs a powerful punch with recognizable themes

Telekinesis, mind control and other realms of brain powers have been explored countless times in numerous television shows, films and books. From horror aspects of the mind like Carrie to fun and happy aspects of the mind like Matilda, there are several opportunities for people to explore stories about special mind powers. 

Netflix’s newest addition I Am Not Okay with This is a fresh twist on an old tale of a protagonist discovering their telekinetic powers, complete with a quirky cast, brilliant score and gorgeous cinematography.

The cast is full of mostly new faces, save for a couple recognizable ones. Sofia Bryant portrays Dina, the classic best friend role, and she does a stand-up job playing a teen who is struggling between clinching a chance at the popular kids’ table or staying loyal to her best friend. Aidan Wotjak-Hissong, who portrays Liam, also gives a feisty and wildly mature performance in the younger brother role.

By far the highlight is Wyatt Oleff’s performance as Stanley Barber. Oleff completely steals the show with the character, portraying a typical high school outcast who tries desperately to be himself while also feeling self-conscious about various aspects of his life. 

Though Sophia Lillis is brilliant as Syd, and clearly a force to be reckoned with, it’s hard to appreciate her powerful performance because her character is so hatable. This is one of the only times where a show has been extremely satisfactory in all facets except for the protagonist. It’s true that Syd is an extremely relatable character among teenagers especially, but it’s hard to watch her and not become infuriated with some of her decisions and character traits.

The score and series’ cinematography are the best parts of production for the series. The score and soundtrack, directed by Blur’s Graham Coxon, perfectly combines the ambience of the show’s teenaged-centric viewpoint with the eerie nature of Syd’s telekinetic mysteries. Paired beautifully with intricate, often portrait-view cinematography spearheaded by Justin Brown, it’s hard to take any attention, eyes or ears, away from the show. 

I Am Not Okay With This receives most of its credit from the powerful performances of the adapted screenplay. Originally a graphic novel by Charles Forsman, the story contains telekinetic tropes and several teenager tropes, but they’re portrayed in a really fresh and interesting way for the audience. It’s not like watching just another telekinetic-centered film — it delivers many more messages about suicide, depression, friendship and other struggles that teenagers constantly face.

However, the story deviates from the novel for the sake of creating a second season. On the one hand, it’s exciting for the audiences who have whole-heartedly embraced the show, but on the other hand, it’s arguable that the novel’s version of the ending suits the series better. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see where the creators take the series after the mind-blowing ending of season one. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu