NASA is accepting applications for new astronauts; here's how OU is celebrating International Women's Month

Today is Wednesday, March 4, 2020. Here’s what you need to know: 

Good morning, 

Many people have imagined being an astronaut since they were young, and now NASA is giving people a chance to live out that dream. 

The project is known as the Artemis program, the goal being to send people to the moon for the first time since 1972. One of those people will be the first woman to ever set foot on the moon. NASA hopes that exploring the moon will eventually prepare humanity to step foot on Mars for the first time.  

Of course, not just anyone can fill out the application and hope to be chosen. Applicants are required to be U.S. citizens, have a master’s degree in a STEM field (or another educational qualification), have two years or 1,000 hours of jet aircraft pilot-in-command experience and pass the NASA long-duration spaceflight physical. 

NASA hopes to send humans to the moon by 2024 and then send them there once a year after that. The endgame of this project is to send the first humans to Mars in the mid-2030s. 

Anyone qualified has until the end of Tuesday, March 31, to complete the application. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post: 

Ohio University’s chapter of the American Association of University Professors is calling for a halt to faculty non-renewals. (The Post)

The Athens Farmers Market is holding a farmer for a day program. (The Post)

Here’s how OU is celebrating International Women’s Month (The Post)

Scores and Game Times: 

Ohio men’s basketball lost 74-67 to Akron last night. (The Post)

Athens Weather: 

Today will be partly cloudy with no precipitation. The high will be 59 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab

You might also want to know... 

Dark mode for Whatsapp is finally here. (Android Police)

Western and central Tennessee suffered from multiple tornadoes Tuesday. (NPR

Apple admits to slowing down older phones and has agreed to a $500 million settlement. (The Verge

@elifeaz  

ef195418@ohio.edu