War comes to Hilltop during Sunday’s episode of ‘The Walking Dead.’ (Photo provided via @TheWalkingDead on Twitter)

TV Review: The Whisperers launched their war against Hilltop on ‘The Walking Dead’

This season of The Walking Dead has been teasing war for a few episodes following Alpha’s (Samantha Morton) reveal of a walker horde. That war finally arrived on Sunday’s episode.

Alpha, Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and the horde of walkers began their march toward Hilltop to attack the community. Those at Hilltop realized they were trapped, with Alexandria and Oceanside being too far away to help in time and the Whisperers cutting off all paths with fallen trees.

Eugene (Josh McDermitt) continued to communicate with the voice, named Stephanie, over the radio. The two realized they both saw the same satellite fall from the sky, meaning they had to be within 100 miles of each other. Eugene discovered he had feelings for Stephanie and begged her to meet, which she agreed to, saying to meet in “Charleston. One week.”

Meanwhile, Carol (Melissa McBride) repaired her relationships with Ezekiel (Khary Payton) and Daryl (Norman Reedus). She learned Ezekiel has a tumor, and the two had sex. She also told Daryl not to hate her, and he replied, “I’m never gonna hate you.” While talking to Lydia (Cassady McClincy), Carol said she was going to kill Alpha and that it wouldn’t solve their problems, but it would feel good.

At the same time, Negan suggested to Alpha they take the Hilltop group as prisoners and grow their army, but Alpha wanted to slaughter them all instead.

The horde swiftly arrived at Hilltop and took out the first defenses laid by the citizens, and then the Whisperers attacked. They sent sap and flaming arrows to set the battlefield on fire, and as the episode ended, it seemed the Hilltop characters were trapped as a massive army of walkers and Whisperers waged war.

Here’s how fans reacted to the episode on Twitter:

@huntergraffice

hg551416@ohio.edu