YouTube’s Gibi ASMR focuses on makeup videos, roleplays and more. (Photo provided via @primalpoly on Twitter)

5 YouTube channels to introduce you to ASMR

YouTube is home to an endless array of channels and types of videos for people to enjoy. Some people watch vlogs, some watch music videos, but others turn to YouTube as a form of stress relief through the plethora of ASMR channels. 

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, better known by the acronym ASMR, is a widely sought after experience where, in most cases, people receive a tingling sensation that begins in the scalp and moves down throughout your back. ASMR responses are different for everyone, because some people receive ASMR from watching satisfying videos, but typically people watch or listen to ASMR to find that calming tingle. 

The easiest way to find ASMR is through YouTube. With all of the different YouTube “ASMRtists” out there, there are different types for everyone. The most popular types of ASMR videos include role-plays, mukbangs and simply talking in a soothing voice. 

The role-play ASMR videos include everything from waiters, salon professionals, teachers and everything you could imagine. Mukbang is an eating show where ASMRtists eat food in a way that creates satisfying sounds. Finally chatting ASMR videos are just as they sound: the ASMRtists will simply sit in front of the camera and speak in soothing voices about anything and everything. That type of ASMR can typically be found in films, television and other people accidentally. 

For those of you looking to relieve some stress during this pandemic, here are five great ASMR channels to entertain you and turn you into an ASMR fanatic:

Gentle Whispering ASMR

Gentle Whispering ASMR is run by a woman who specializes in ASMR therapy. A lot of her videos focus on comforting whispers, relaxing sound production and meditative sleep aid. She does a lot of up close and personal videos where she intimately speaks directly to the camera. 

~Simple Pleasures~ ASMR Soft Spoken Personal Attention

Gibi ASMR

As one of the longer-running ASMR channels on YouTube, similarly to Gentle Whispering ASMR, Gibi began a channel after having watched ASMR on accident for a long time. She loves watching the ASMRtists grow on YouTube and decided to begin her own channel. She makes tons of different types of videos, including role-plays, makeup videos, cosplay and more.

[ASMR] Dark & Relaxing Tapping & Scratching [Close Whispers]

Karuna Satori ASMR

Sarah is just a typical mom who makes a living doing ASMR videos. She came up with the name Karuna Satori because Karuna means the universal compassion of a Bodhisattva in Buddhism, and Satori means sudden enlightenment. Typically her videos focus on role-playing, chatting, sound production or sleep therapy. Sometimes the videos feature her husband Victor, who also dabbles in ASMR. 

ASMR ONE HOUR SLEEP SESSION

Latte ASMR

Latte ASMR joined YouTube in January 2016, so she’s been around for a while as well. She does videos in English and Japanese,  and also has a playlist for sounds and triggers. She loves doing role-play videos and is pretty much solely a role-playing channel. 

Backstage Makeup & Hair Styling ASMR

W Magazine Celebrity ASMR

W Magazine started its ASMR celebrity interviews back in 2016. The videos have always been interesting, because it’s a true interview with a celebrity, while also incorporating specific sounds to produce a reaction. Over time, the interviews have reached a specific theme, with a black background, dual microphones and specific questions followed by items and sounds to reflect the celebrity’s answer to the question.

Penn Badgley Explores ASMR

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu