Australian musician Hazel English transfixes on her latest LP, ‘Wake UP!’ (Photo provided via @hazelenglishmusic on Instagram)

Album Review: Hazel English molds dream pop perfection on ‘Wake UP!’

When Hazel English steps into a recording studio, she doesn’t know her ethereal vocals, down-to-earth lyrics and the transfixing instrumentation supporting it make for irreplaceable magic, but they do. With her debut LP, Wake UP!, English is, early in her career, setting the standard for dream pop. 

After originally studying creative writing, the Australian moved to California in 2013 as part of a student exchange program. Within two years, she started taking on open mic nights and eventually met Jackson Phillips, otherwise known as the one-man indie rock band Day Wave. Soon enough, they were creating music together, and English started her own self-titled band. It opened for Craft Spells in 2015, and two years later, English released a double EP. This latest album makes her humble beginnings seem even more incredible.

Though the album starts out a bit slow, no track is bad in any way. The rhythm and English’s control in “Shaking” are impeccable. Once it reaches the track “Combat,” however, it’s turned on its ear for the better. “Five and Dime” is a breezy track with harmonies that, previously, only dreams were made of. The sweet blend of heavy themes with delicate vocals on “Waiting” is a combination that only a handful of people can successfully execute, and English is among them. If you’re searching for soothing music that also tackles meaningful topics, look no further than Wake UP! Here are the three best tracks from Wake UP!:

3. “Like A Drug”

The opening drum beat of “Like A Drug” bares resemblance to Hairspray’s “Good Morning Baltimore,” and yes, the former may end up sounding more relaxed sonically, but it’s still just as thrilling. Surrounded by delicate keys and a dreamy guitar line, English reveals her significant other’s love is as addicting as any drug. However, he is not her lifeline: “Do you think you know me ’cause I shared my body? / You think it’s the same / Boy, you will be sorry when you figure out I don’t need to be saved.” This track’s beauty will undoubtedly take you to a better parallel universe.

2. “Work It Out”

English’s masterful storytelling will make us feel as if we’re the one whose heart she is trying to win back in “Work It Out,” and by the end, her persuasiveness will most likely win us over. She feels as though she is slipping away from the one she loves most, and she’s confident they’ll be OK as long as they work together to fix it: “We can work it out if you really want to / Sure, I have my doubts; we will see this thing through / But you know that I’ll always come home to you.” The oh-so sweet guitar that immediately follows the chorus will both take your breath away and rip your heart out.

1. “Combat”

As previously mentioned, “Combat” is when the album cemented itself as an irreplaceable showpiece. As the silky guitars begin to take listeners to a better place, English begins to think through her broken relationship, and she realizes she needs to be upfront with him. She knows they’re going to fight but hopes it doesn’t permanently keep them apart: “I can’t look you in the eye / Hope to God I’m wrong when it comes to us / No one’s gonna win tonight.” “Combat” is the dreamiest song of 2020 thus far, and it’s the best on Wake UP!

Rating: 4.5/5

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu