All 2021 emojis have been postponed; April marks Autism Awareness Month

Today is Tuesday, April 14, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Emojis are loved by some and hated by others. Either way, there won’t be any new emojis coming in 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Unicode Consortium, the company tasked with releasing new emojis, announced that any planned 2021 emojis will be released in 2022. The change comes after COVID-19 halted the new version of the program that supports emojis by six months. Developers unfortunately won’t have enough time to create the proposed emojis in time of their previous release. 

Regardless of the delay, emoji fans can still look forward to September’s release of 2020 emojis, which were announced in January. Included in the September release of emojis are the transgender flag, bottle-feeding parents and boba tea.   

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s how Ohio University professors are dealing with the unexpected change to virtual courses. (The Post)

Despite the coronavirus pandemic, construction is still taking place on and around OU’s campus. (The Post)

April marks Autism Awareness Month. Here’s how the city of Athens is bringing awareness to the developmental disorder (The Post)

Athens Weather

If you’re heading outside for a walk you may want to bring an umbrella and jacket. Today has a 30% chance of scattered rain with a high of 49 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Just a week after dropping out of the presidential race, Bernie Sanders has endorsed Joe Biden’s campaign. (The New York Times

Google and Apple have announced a joint project to track the spread of the coronavirus. (TechCrunch)

Virginia decriminalized marijuana on Sunday—making it the 27th state to do so. (Vox)  

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu