Customers at Bagel Street Deli order outside its window on March 16, 2020. Owners turned from their normal operations to carry-out orders due to a mandated closure of restaurants in the state of Ohio because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Athens restaurants and bars close, require masks as COVID-19 cases rises

Several Athens restaurants and bars have decided to change their policies or close up shop temporarily in the last week due to the coronavirus. 

Athens County has seen a dramatic spike in the number of reported cases. As of Friday morning, there are 91 cases, one death and eight hospitalizations.

Here is the current status of some bars and restaurants:

Athens Uncorked

The restaurant is moving to patio service only for the foreseeable future, as management sees this as the safest way to serve customers.

Carryout and delivery is still available as well as the wine-tasting menu and appetizer menu.

If an employee gets exposed to the coronavirus, the restaurant will shut down.

Bagel Street Deli

Bagel Street announced on Friday morning that the store would close for at least two weeks. It will be open this weekend, July 11 and 12. The restaurant has no confirmed or suspected cases within their staff, but the store chose “to be overly cautious” so employees and customers can be safe.

Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina

On Wednesday, Casa Nueva posted that a staff member had tested positive for the coronavirus. The restaurant decided to close. Before this, Casa was offering carryout. No decision has been made yet regarding the timeline to reopen.

The restaurant stated that management has been working with the Athens City-County Health Department for further reopening steps.

The C.I.

The C.I. announced Thursday that the bar is going to close until further notice. This is due to an increase in local COVID-19 cases.

Courtside Pizza

Courtside announced on Thursday that it would close temporarily due to the risk of the coronavirus. While the restaurant did not list a reopening timetable, it did say that making the safety of Athens its top priority.

Donkey Coffee

Donkey will be closed until further notice as well, the cafe announced on Twitter Thursday night.

Just 12 hours before they announced they would temporarily close, the coffee shop said indoor seating would be closed.

The J Bar

The bar announced Tuesday that customers will be required to wear masks until they are seated. It has not announced closing as of Friday morning.

Jackie O’s

Jackie O’s announced Thursday that their Public House dining room and patio have been closed.

The bar has not had any suspected or confirmed cases with the staff.

It will still have pickup and delivery service

Lucky’s Sports Tavern

Lucky’s announced on Tuesday that they will be requiring customers to wear masks while not eating or drinking for the safety of customers and employees.

The Over Hang

The bar will require people to wear masks while entering and ordering drinks at the bar. This started on Thursday, July 9.

Pawpurr’s

The bar announced on Instagram on Wednesday that it would be closed for the rest of the week due to the increase of cases in Athens. The post said the bar could be closed for up to two weeks.

The Pigskin Bar and Grille

Pigskin announced Thursday that after one of their employees tested positive for the coronavirus, the bar would close. The announcement said it had been closed since Sunday, July 5.

The restaurant does not believe that the employee contracted the virus at work, nor worked while infected. The bar is requiring staff members to get tested for the coronavirus and quarantine.

When the bar does reopen, it will require customers to wear masks while in the building until seated. This includes ordering food and drinks and using the restroom.

The Red Brick Tavern

Red Brick has also announced that the bar will be closed temporarily due to the increase of coronavirus cases.

Tony’s Tavern

Tony’s was supposed to reopen after being closed on Thursday, July 9. The bar, however, canceled their reopening due to the rising COVID-19 cases in Athens County.

This list is not complete and The Post is committed to adding to it and updating it as more bars and restaurants make decisions.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu